• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Interesting binoviewer

Tweedledee

This binoviewer is different from the others. It has a lot of glass in it with the splitter, prisms and a set of 7 relay lenses so the focus position doesn't change, keep it at 1x and erect image.

Seems like a completely new design.  ?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10297_TS-Optics-Binoviewer-1-0-magnification-zero-optical-path-and-erect-image.html

I'm sorry, i can't offer much input on this.

I've read a bit about it, and i have to say i'm not that convinced by it.

Interesting new design though.

19 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm sorry, i can't offer much input on this.

I've read a bit about it, and i have to say i'm not that convinced by it.

Interesting new design though.

Hope you might be able to offer a bit more Rob, since you're our resident expert here. ? ?

I was just thinking that this particular binoviewer seemed to tick all my boxes, and would save the hassle of Barlows and back focus problems etc. for use on both refractors and reflectors.

I can only think that the extra optical surfaces in the 7 element relay lens system might be putting you off a bit.

I'm not really an expert lol ? i just have a bit of experience and have learned alot from the CN bino forum.

If you ever go on there, take note of one chap in particular 'Eddgie' from Texas, who IS AN EXPERT.

Similarly Denis Levatic from Croatia, runs a small business that is dedicated to Binoviewers, ie cleaning, stripping down,

collimation, modifications etc. He knows all there is to know, like Eddgie

Here is a small review from Denis : post 494 - 505

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/511998-review-binoviewers-zeiss-baader-william-optics-siebert-denkmeier/page-20

Denis in this post reviews basically every bino out there, over a 25 page thread.

But the bino in question, although sounding like it ticks every box, has a few issues.

It appears theres a few weird optical issues happening, and it also has a rather small field stop of 17mm clear aperture.

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm not really an expert lol ? i just have a bit of experience and have learned alot from the CN bino forum.

If you ever go on there, take note of one chap in particular 'Eddgie' from Texas, who IS AN EXPERT.

Similarly Denis Levatic from Croatia, runs a small business that is dedicated to Binoviewers, ie cleaning, stripping down,

collimation, modifications etc. He knows all there is to know, like Eddgie

Here is a small review from Denis : post 494 - 505

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/511998-review-binoviewers-zeiss-baader-william-optics-siebert-denkmeier/page-20

Denis in this post reviews basically every bino out there, over a 25 page thread.

But the bino in question, although sounding like it ticks every box, has a few issues.

It appears theres a few weird optical issues happening, and it also has a rather small field stop of 17mm clear aperture.

You certainly are the man Rob. ? ?

That explains it all perfectly thank you, that binoviewer promises a lot but obviously doesn't live up to expectations, which is a pity.

You would have thought they would have been able to maintain a larger clear aperture using the system of relay lenses.

I'm guessing because it advertises 1.0x they don't need a bigger clear aperture to get lower power views.

Which means they can use smaller lenses, prisms and whatever else in there to keep costs down.

I personally prefer a nice big clear aperture to make full use of the 27mm field stop in the 24mm Panoptics

which is pretty much as good as it gets with 1.25" eyepieces.

My Earthwin has 26mm and the Mk V 28 or 30 i think, which means the 24s are fully illuminated 

for those low power, wide fields i really crave, certainly with the Newtonian.

In daylight i've tested the 24s with the 26mm aperture Earthwin, and you can see the light falloff around the

edge of the field of view. It actually bothers me a bit, but fortunately you don't notice it, and certainly not

from a dark site. I do have the option of getting them 'modded' drilled out a bit to allow full illumination of the 24s.

Its something i will probably get round to doing at some point.

But i'd be interested to see how this new unit would perform in my Dob, but like i said earlier, i'm not convinced it

would be any good.

Thanks Rob. ?

They give you a bit with one hand and take something else away with the other. If they'd got it perfect, it would probably be well over a grand.