• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

80mm apo

Tweedledee

41 minutes ago, Alec said:

Looks good, you must be getting close to doing your first images ?

Thanks Alec.

Actually, I'm looking forward to enjoying some visual with the goto on the AZEQ5 first. It has been a good 10 years since I used a goto and that was with a 10" Meade LX200 SCT. I'm well practiced at star hopping, but goto will be a luxury. Hopefully I will more easily find some elusive stuff. ?

• Like 2

It certainly looks very compact Pete ; from the photos you wouldn't think it was 80mm.

We don't see many carbon fibre tubes around either, it looks very smart doesn't it ?

Do you have tube rings, or is that a 'L' bracket underneath ?

That's a proper little cutie, your Xmas certainly came early this year Pete. I am looking forward to your first images, apparently not so much a learning curve as a learning cliff. Good luck mate.

13 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

It certainly looks very compact Pete ; from the photos you wouldn't think it was 80mm.

We don't see many carbon fibre tubes around either, it looks very smart doesn't it ?

Do you have tube rings, or is that a 'L' bracket underneath ?

Thanks Rob, it looks quite a bit longer with the 3" reducer in place. Very pleased with the look of the carbon fibre. It feels very solid but is really light weight. Yes, that is an integral L bracket with SW dovetail to fit directly on the AZEQ5. ?

6 hours ago, BAZ said:

That's a proper little cutie, your Xmas certainly came early this year Pete. I am looking forward to your first images, apparently not so much a learning curve as a learning cliff. Good luck mate.

Cheers, Martyn. Won't be much left to open at Christmas though. 

4 hours ago, Ron Clarke said:

Looking good Pete, is it me or is that label not straight?? ?

Thanks. Nothing wrong with your eyesight Ron. Might ask for my money back now you've pointed out that defect - No chance, very pleased. ?

3 hours ago, philjay said:

A nice scope there Pete you will enjoy that

2 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Very nice - congrats Pete. ?

Thanks, it really looks and feels like quality tackle in a small package, and I'm so glad it is the full monty with case and dedicated reducer corrector. ??

The flattener corrector is a bonus : it looks a substantial bit of kit in its own right.....it will turn your F6 into an F4.2 am i right ? 

Although quite often with fast F5 / F6 scopes there is often a reducer built into the scope itself

meaning the primary can be a bit longer, which means more tolerance in design, less cost etc.

My own little 70mm is like this, although thats not a triplet, only a doublet.

Looking forward to seeing how it performs under the stars !!

I'm sure it will make a very nice little travel scope as well. Do you have any mounting options for travel ?

40 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

The flattener corrector is a bonus : it looks a substantial bit of kit in its own right.....it will turn your F6 into an F4.2 am i right ? 

Although quite often with fast F5 / F6 scopes there is often a reducer built into the scope itself

meaning the primary can be a bit longer, which means more tolerance in design, less cost etc.

My own little 70mm is like this, although thats not a triplet, only a doublet.

Looking forward to seeing how it performs under the stars !!

I'm sure it will make a very nice little travel scope as well. Do you have any mounting options for travel ?

Yes, you're correct Rob, it converts it to F4.2 and 336mm focal length. I'm after a TV 2" 2x Powermate or maybe a Siebert equivalent to extend the focal length as well.

The ES 80 is just an F6 triplet. My 6" 760mm focal length Bresser Messier is actually an F10 doublet with a 0.5x four element Pretzval lens at the focuser end to bring it down to F5, making it quite a long scope for F5, but providing better colour correction than your average achro.

Since I recently sold my Losmandy AZ8, I have no lightweight mount unless I take the AZEQ5, however I can borrow a simple SW AZ4 which will do the job nicely for a travel scope.

I'm intrigued - * Incoming mystery retirement scope * in your signature. Surely you're not old enough to retire for a long time yet! I suspect a big 8" or 10" Zerochromat. Give us a clue. ?

Retirement is something i've been thinking about quite a bit in the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm 52 next year, and could retire at 55. I'd love to do that, but realistically 57 - 60 is more probable.

I WILL finish before i reach 60 though. I've promised myself that. Life is too short.

I've been having a good think about what i want to do in the hobby as retirement looms.

It was not long ago that i had 6 telescopes, (some i rarely used)  and i decided to review what i needed going forward.

I concluded that i wanted to image more, and also would like to observe from abroad, when holidaying.

This means me having a primary scope for both visual and imaging, but this would not be suited to

trips away, meaning i'm also looking into a nice travel type scope, small enough to go on an aircraft etc

with a mount + tripod to match. I'm keeping my OO Dob btw, that is the only scope i'm currently using.

I need to update my signature.

And no.......i certainly won't be heading in the direction of a Zerochromat !

Take a look at this mounting.....

Its from a Swiss company 'AOK Swiss'.  You may have seen them.

http://www.aokswiss.ch/ayo/main_ayo.html

The 'Vamo traveller' is what i have been looking at.

http://www.aokswiss.ch/ayo/vamo_traveler/main_vamo_traveler.html

There is also the option of fitting encoders to it.......

On 22/11/2018 at 23:48, Bino-viewer said:

Retirement is something i've been thinking about quite a bit in the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm 52 next year, and could retire at 55. I'd love to do that, but realistically 57 - 60 is more probable.

I WILL finish before i reach 60 though. I've promised myself that. Life is too short.

I've been having a good think about what i want to do in the hobby as retirement looms.

It was not long ago that i had 6 telescopes, (some i rarely used)  and i decided to review what i needed going forward.

I concluded that i wanted to image more, and also would like to observe from abroad, when holidaying.

This means me having a primary scope for both visual and imaging, but this would not be suited to

trips away, meaning i'm also looking into a nice travel type scope, small enough to go on an aircraft etc

with a mount + tripod to match. I'm keeping my OO Dob btw, that is the only scope i'm currently using.

I need to update my signature.

And no.......i certainly won't be heading in the direction of a Zerochromat !

Take a look at this mounting.....

Its from a Swiss company 'AOK Swiss'.  You may have seen them.

http://www.aokswiss.ch/ayo/main_ayo.html

The 'Vamo traveller' is what i have been looking at.

http://www.aokswiss.ch/ayo/vamo_traveler/main_vamo_traveler.html

There is also the option of fitting encoders to it.......

That site has some really niche market items. Not come across that one before but have now bookmarked it for future reference, thanks. ?

They've really thought about their designs, and the slightly heavier Ayo mount can be provided with smart accessories so you can pimp it up if you want. I like those mounts very much, and it could be the ideal kit for taking my lightweight carbon fibre 80mm abroad.

I know what you mean about retirement. I'm much nearer to it than you, and think a lot about how much more I could enjoy my time better if I didn't work. I've even been making some lists recently about what I really want to do with my time. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

I suppose I'll have to plug in a load of wires to get this lot to do anything! ?

20181127_130215-2016x1512s.jpg?raw=1

20181127_130409-2016x1512s.jpg?raw=1

Eyepieces are easier...?

20181127_104924-2016x1512s.jpg?raw=1