• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Decomposing on the moon/mars

Dean Watson

Hi all, was watching The Martian for around the 19th time again last night and reference was made (as is a perpetual trope in science fiction) that (even though in the story he wasn't actually dead) that with his body on the surface he wouldn't decompose.

That got me to thinking... Now would a human body in those conditions?  I grant that Mars is varying degrees of cryogenic (-63 degrees c typically) in some places and up to around 20 degrees c at the equator, so the body could freeze solid in a fairly short time.  Not forgetting of course that liquids boil at lower pressures, i.e. the almost negligible  Martian atmosphere.  Not sure what the balance would be as regards that although it would certainly increase the desiccating effect.  

What with the body being in a large percentage, bacteria, intestinal flora and fauna and upon death as I understand it (assuming it hasn't frozen solid right though, flash freeze style) the body tends to decay from the inside out as it 'digests' itself (I know thats only an analogy)- but still a viable, even semi pressurised environment , would decomposition happen regardless, until of course the body was COMPLETELY desiccated and frozen solid? How quickly would that happen, fast enough to totally prevent decomposition?  I'm not convinced as I simply don't know enough either way.

On the Moon of course there are some differences as daytime temperatures are higher for two weeks or so over a four week cycle. Alternately freezing and cooking.

Anyone know anything about this?

I don't think I'd want to be laid to rest on Mars. I want to be sent to the Sun so that when people look up with their PSTs and (hopefully in the future) more advanced narrowband solar telescopes that they will think of me.

Very interesting stuff. I've wondered about this previously, but then just thought that the body would freeze within a few hours to much colder than an average freezer temperature, and just lie dormant. Obviously there are various other factors at play.

I also read that the highest temperature recorded on Mars was 35C, but obviously only for a very short period.

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

I wonder what effect radiation would have, surely that would have a degrading effect.

Thats mentioned in the article, not something I immediately thought of.  It would seem to have a rather slow effect apparently.