• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Day at York University :)

Tweedledee

Just had an inspirational day at York University with their Natural Science department.

My 18 year old son had an interview there and they looked after all the parents very well too. Lots of free food and drink, informative talks and tours of the science facilities which I thoroughly enjoyed. I felt privileged to be taken around the Nanocentre. A professor showed us the research they were doing using all manner of different types of electron microscopes, culminating in the following incredible multi million pound machine that has a resolution of 1 Angstrom and "looks" at atoms! The university colaborates with various industries who use this unique machine for research and experiments. We were shown how the atomic scale workings of catalytic converters could be examined and improved using this big machine.

https://www.york.ac.uk/nanocentre/facilities/fetem/

In the dept. of Physics they had the Vickers Collection of instruments, including various Victorian scientific instruments, clocks and a pair of Cooke, Troughton and Sims brass long focus refractors probably 8" aperture on a massive pillar mount.

It was a superb day out. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

I'm a big fan of York as well. Its one of my favourite cities, along with Bath, that we visit from time to time.

The uni sounds a fabulous place.

It has been a long time since I visited York itself, but intend to go again soon.

We just had a thoroughly enjoyable day with science and technology at the University. ?

One of my lads lived there for a time. There's always something new to keep you interested in York, aside from the usual tourist traps, there's always something new to find. It doesn't seem a rushed City.

12 hours ago, BAZ said:

One of my lads lived there for a time. There's always something new to keep you interested in York, aside from the usual tourist traps, there's always something new to find. It doesn't seem a rushed City.

That's a nice, and different recommendation for the place. ?

I'm planning a short break there. ?

• 2 weeks later...

It's my wifes birthday on the 4th of Jan so have just booked a weekend away in York. Staying at a 4* hotel with super kingsize bed and spa bath so fingers crossed she will love it.

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It's my wifes birthday on the 4th of Jan so have just booked a weekend away in York. Staying at a 4* hotel with super kingsize bed and spa bath so fingers crossed she will love it.

Hope you have a nice trip.