• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Do i need dew control

Bottletopburly

Do i need dew control ,so the 130 and 200 pds just need a dew shield i could use a dew heater on my 127mm mak ,camera if using lens and my mini guide scope ,what's your thoughts, is it worth purchasing a dew controller and necessary heater  bands.

Question

Do you suffer from dew ????

If the answer is yes which it certainly will be with the mac then the answer has to be YES.

Nothing ruins an imaging run quicker than dew on the lens / mirrors.

I even have my dew heaters running in the summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Graham said:

Question

Do you suffer from dew ????

If the answer is yes which it certainly will be with the mac then the answer has to be YES.

Nothing ruins an imaging run quicker than dew on the lens / mirrors.

I even have my dew heaters running in the summer.

Not so much with the newts graham ,fan seems to be ok and i do need to make a dew shield for both 130 and 200, my miniguidescope does dew though last outing i made a foam dew shield which seemed to work, so the mak defo does i was thinking of making using resistors seeing as we have lots of clouds, article here http://dewbuster.com/heaters-330ohm-resistors.html so for a 5inch mak 24 resistors -24x0.036= 0.086 amps drawing 12 watts if my calculations are correct i think even i could make this. 

5 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Not so much with the newts graham ,fan seems to be ok and i do need to make a dew shield for both 130 and 200, my miniguidescope does dew though last outing i made a foam dew shield which seemed to work, so the mak defo does i was thinking of making using resistors seeing as we have lots of clouds, article here http://dewbuster.com/heaters-330ohm-resistors.html so for a 5inch mak 24 resistors -24x0.036= 0.086 amps drawing 12 watts if my calculations are correct i think even i could make this. 

I ran a dew heater even when using the newt.

A ceramic resistor glued onto the back of the secondary.

It is always best to have a variable controller so you can back the heat down if required.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Graham said:

I ran a dew heater even when using the newt.

A ceramic resistor glued onto the back of the secondary.

It is always best to have a variable controller so you can back the heat down if required.

Parts ordered other than the dimmer ? giving up ordering some parts on eBay you specify  uk stock and everyone is in china 

I've noticed that.

Usually they give estimated arrival dates though, so I go by that. Nobody wants to wait up to 6 weeks for stuff, although if you can wait the stuff can be ridiculously cheap. They must pay the workers just a bowl of rice a day. ?

I like my Amazon Prime. Usually next day free delivery, though sometimes the prices are a little bit higher to start with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

I've noticed that.

Usually they give estimated arrival dates though, so I go by that. Nobody wants to wait up to 6 weeks for stuff, although if you can wait the stuff can be ridiculously cheap. They must pay the workers just a bowl of rice a day. ?

I like my Amazon Prime. Usually next day free delivery, though sometimes the prices are a little bit higher to start with.

Yes it’s the long wait I don’t want Pete 

That DIY dew heater website is useful thanks. ?

Even I could manage to solder up those dew heaters, but when I factor in my limited spare time, which I value, I prefer to just order the stuff ready made. Roll on retirement! ?

I'd be lost without my dew control. Really is a game changer for me.

Only minor downside is dealing with the extra cables.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 8472 said:

I'd be lost without my dew control. Really is a game changer for me.

Only minor downside is dealing with the extra cables.

What scope do you use for dew control kev or is it camera other ?

7 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

What scope do you use for dew control kev or is it camera other ?

I've a dual channel controller and a couple of straps for all my imaging optics (from my 100mm Mak to my 14mm prime lens) and my finderguider.

Similar to my telrad heater project from years gone by, I did think of making my own straps, but for the sake of 20 quid or so each, I got some from RVO and FLO.

If I'm (more often than not) imaging all night at my location, as my kit approaches the zenith, dew is pretty much guaranteed. Dew shields, although useful, only delay the inevitable.

Nothing worse than discovering dew has ruined more than half of your night's subs next morning, because you forgot to switch on/thought you wouldn't need dew control. Been there done that, sadly!

HTH

Kev

• Like 1