• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lps -D2 filter

Bottletopburly

So Astro funds have been replenished to £300 , which had me thinking what’s to invest it on , so I could get a newer mono  guide cam or do I invest in a lps-d2 filter the eos clip type £185, our whole town is LED, is anyone using this filter in an led area I don’t mind investing in a filter but don’t want to unless it’s a worthwhile purchase comments please . 

Its my understanding that LEDs wavelengths arent covered so much by LP filters, good old sodium both low and high pressure, tungsten and mercury are usually covered.

6 minutes ago, philjay said:

Its my understanding that LEDs wavelengths arent covered so much by LP filters, good old sodium both low and high pressure, tungsten and mercury are usually covered.

Apparently the idas D2 do a good job specially made for led but I would like to hear from someone using it , they have only been out since about April this year and at £185 I’m apprehensive about being the guinea pig , I will wait and see what users have to say first though .

I know nothing about these filters yet, but I'm getting interested.

Looking at the transmission graph for the filter, which also plots the wavelengths emitted by LED lights, it seems to do a pretty good job of cutting out much of those regions. It is a pity they don't show the nebula wavelengths on the same graph, as it may well block too much of those as well.

I will be better able to compare the relevent graphs, when the Christmas whisky wears off. ?

• Haha 1

Looking at that thread puts a slightly different slant on it for me. 

I don't really know what I'm talking about yet, but it strikes me that, in practice, the differences between LP filters could be quite minimal and possibly swamped by a smidgen of extra processing or taking a few extra subs.

Am I seeing this wrong?

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

I really know what I'm talking about yet,  

Me neither pete

I suffer from an LED streetlight overlooking my house. The LPS-D2 looks like it cuts out a lot of the LED pollution and other stuff as well, without chopping the interesting stuff.  Might be worth a try.

Is this something EMS could buy and loan/hire out to potential purchasers?  The high price would be easier to stomach if you knew how suitable it was.

large.IDAS-D2b.jpg.2a6a22680ad115cb16d1ac5ea7cab1c7.jpg

10 hours ago, bryand said:

I suffer from an LED streetlight overlooking my house. The LPS-D2 looks like it cuts out a lot of the LED pollution and other stuff as well, without chopping the interesting stuff.  Might be worth a try.

Is this something EMS could buy and loan/hire out to potential purchasers?  The high price would be easier to stomach if you knew how suitable it was.

large.IDAS-D2b.jpg.2a6a22680ad115cb16d1ac5ea7cab1c7.jpg

i have had a reply from one chap this was his verdict:

(My old clip-in D1 got scratched and council have a schedule for upgrading to LED in our town (none near yet) so I went with D2 clip-in. Unfortunately, it has produced a very unpleasant and eccentric halo around the edges of the frame with the halo skewed away from the centre(hope that makes sense). I know it is the filter cos it’s happened on both a 480mm scope and a 135mm camera lens which both worked fine with the D1. I’m using a spare 2 inch circular D1 screwed into the front end of my 480mm scope’s focal flattener at the minute but haven’t had a chance to test that yet. Not sure what to do with the 135mm at the mo - I have an old Astronomik clip-in CLS CCD as a back up. I can’t recommend the D2 clip-in because of those haloes used with a Canon 80d. Both this pic and my Comet 46P/Pleiades shot were heavily cropped to remove those artefacts).

I did read somewhere of the clip type having light leakage so maybe the 2" version screwed into the end of the CC ,i have asked FLO if they have had any feedback from users . 

The D2 looks very good, and there are a couple of reviews on them

If i were you, i would email FLO and ask their opinion, or better still the people at Hutech.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

i have had a reply from one chap this was his verdict:

(My old clip-in D1 got scratched and council have a schedule for upgrading to LED in our town (none near yet) so I went with D2 clip-in. Unfortunately, it has produced a very unpleasant and eccentric halo around the edges of the frame with the halo skewed away from the centre(hope that makes sense). I know it is the filter cos it’s happened on both a 480mm scope and a 135mm camera lens which both worked fine with the D1. I’m using a spare 2 inch circular D1 screwed into the front end of my 480mm scope’s focal flattener at the minute but haven’t had a chance to test that yet. Not sure what to do with the 135mm at the mo - I have an old Astronomik clip-in CLS CCD as a back up. I can’t recommend the D2 clip-in because of those haloes used with a Canon 80d. Both this pic and my Comet 46P/Pleiades shot were heavily cropped to remove those artefacts).

I did read somewhere of the clip type having light leakage so maybe the 2" version screwed into the end of the CC ,i have asked FLO if they have had any feedback from users . 

I think that has to be a one-off discrepancy. Something went wrong during the manufacturing process on that batch or just the one filter. An accidental contamination of the filter surface, maybe the buyer accidentally splashed his coffee while examining the filter. Perhaps one that slipped through quality assurance on a Friday afternoon. The manufacturer will have put these through rigorous testing and wouldn't knowingly put a faulty product onto the market, to be slated on various astro forums. It may, or may not provide sufficient attenuation of LED light pollution, but definitely shouldn't be faulty in the way described above.

Hope we come across some more reviews on it.

22 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

I think that has to be a one-off discrepancy. Something went wrong during the manufacturing process on that batch or just the one filter. An accidental contamination of the filter surface, maybe the buyer accidentally splashed his coffee while examining the filter. Perhaps one that slipped through quality assurance on a Friday afternoon. The manufacturer will have put these through rigorous testing and wouldn't knowingly put a faulty product onto the market, to be slated on various astro forums. It may, or may not provide sufficient attenuation of LED light pollution, but definitely shouldn't be faulty in the way described above.

Hope we come across some more reviews on it.

well i have been digging on astro bin i found one image with a weird skew in the stars but other photos from same chap using same filter look fine ,so maybe it is a one off ,Flo said i could return it if i find it doesn't help which is reassuring .

skewed stars https://www.astrobin.com/338203/C/?nc=all  fine stars https://www.astrobin.com/351964/F/?nc=all  another with D2 seems fine actually this chap has a few images with the D2 that seem fine assuming stars not edited  http://www.astrofotoblog.eu/?tag=hutech-idas-lps-d2

Edited by Bottletopburly