• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ultima Thule - New Horizons

Tweedledee

New Horizons should reach Ultima Thule at about 5.30am on new years day, so sometime later tomorrow we should get some exciting views.

Brian May is releasing his own tribute to the spacecraft in the form of a single and video at about the same time as the rendezvous. I'll certainly be giving that a play.

I’m looking forward to seeing some imagery.

The end of a fascinating mission.

I often wonder with this object being so far out, how effective 

the sun is at illuminating it ? 

I think New Horizons will need to crank the ISO up a bit....

maybe iso 6400 should do the trick ! ?

NH is going like bee's wings as well, so this is likely to be a snapshot. But look at the imagery that they got passing Pluto and Charon doing that speed. Apparently it's like trying to take a photo of a lamp post from a car going 40mph. Not too mention how far away it is and how good the data coming back will be. Just heard on the news it's going to take about twenty months to download, so they are probably still running Windows 2000. ?

Don't you just love the name too, Ultima Thule. 

Its going to be very embarrassing if they discover that someone left the dust cap on the camera ? 

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Its going to be very embarrassing if they discover that someone left the dust cap on the camera ? 

The big question then would be who, or what, replaced the dust cap after Pluto! ?

From what i've seen so far, it looks somewhat like our old friend Comet 67P (Churyumov /Garasimenko)

A big bit and a little bit......