• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Widefield M78

I think i've spent enough time trying to accumulate data for this object, over the past few weeks.

Been a pretty difficult target, in the sense that it's a bit of a pig to process, at least for a novice like me, with a dslr. It really requires a cooled sensor, to battle the sea of noise.

A mix 60,180,240,300 and 360s lights for a total of 7h 15m total integration.

F5NqmsFA2b_gYqYhWfOV1jU9O086S1fBtXfNS6Yg

Kev

Edited by tuckstar

That's very nice, but do you think you have you squeezed (stretched) enough out of that 7 hour 15 minutes in the processing? ?

Or is it really just the noise that's holding it back?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

That's very nice, but do you think you have you squeezed (stretched) enough out of that 7 hour 15 minutes in the processing? ?

Or is it really just the noise that's holding it back?

Yes, I know what you mean, Pete. Funny thing is, there's barely any noticeable difference with half the amount (3 hours) of data.

Believe me, I've tried stretching the data within an inch of it's life, but the results are horrible (brown mottling which looks nothing like dust, everywhere). Tried every Gimp processing trick I can think of, but to no avail.

In hindsight, i'm convinced I would have had far better results with one of my longer FL optics.

Enough of my excuses, though! ?

8 hours ago, 8472 said:

In hindsight, i'm convinced I would have had far better results with one of my longer FL optics.

That could be an interesting experiment. ?

On 17/01/2019 at 11:36, 8472 said:

Yes, I know what you mean, Pete. Funny thing is, there's barely any noticeable difference with half the amount (3 hours) of data.

Believe me, I've tried stretching the data within an inch of it's life, but the results are horrible (brown mottling which looks nothing like dust, everywhere). Tried every Gimp processing trick I can think of, but to no avail.

Enough of my excuses, though! ?

Hi Kev - know what you mean about processing this one, there’s so much contrast between the dark and light stuff. Happy to have a go at processing it for you in Pixinsight - see if that makes a difference? 

2 hours ago, Chris P. said:

Hi Kev - know what you mean about processing this one, there’s so much contrast between the dark and light stuff. Happy to have a go at processing it for you in Pixinsight - see if that makes a difference? 

PM'ed

That is impressive Kev. ?

It's definitely a good 7 hours worth of imaging now. You just need a bit more processing practice. Chris has done a superb job with it. ?

On 24/01/2019 at 17:10, 8472 said:

Update:

Just thought I'd share the simply amazing work Chris P has done on processing my M78 stack.

-IYPudB51rkGJEDbJ_hZla08ASK85MhxFEd3MwQ_

The way he has managed to smooth out and denoise the brown dust from my data has had me head-scratching for days. Impressive stuff.

No amount of pp on my part has come close, and I have spent way too much time on this subject as it is!

Kev

Thanks Kev - but this is truely your work. The underlying data is very strong and overall really impressive for a small refractor, unmodded camera and Star Adventurer mount. Top job?

On 25/01/2019 at 05:29, BAZ said:

Chris must be a level 4 wizard Kev, that's impressive! ?

That's pretty much what I said.