• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astrofest anyone?

Tweedledee

Kensington 8/9th February.

Anyone planning to go?

There's also the Practical Astronomy Exhibition in Kettering on 9th March. I was going to give this a go but my wife is taking me away for a week in the Scottish highlands for my big birthday instead. ?

I hope to be going to Astrofest, but am not 100%

Probably 75% at present, as i'll need a day off work.

Assuming i can get, it will be the Friday. I want to see my new refractor......

I've not booked a pass, and let my displeasure be known to the staff

at Astronomy Now for not finalising the lecture programme with less than 4 weeks to go before the event.

Not good enough. There were not enough vendors there either last year.

But as i can travel there for next to nothing, i still hope to be there.

But I WILL be at the PAS in Kettering in March.

Thats my weekend off, and the venue is a 15min walk from the train station.

The venue looks great, and there looks to be an emphasis on imaging, so i'll hopefully learn something.

Paul Abel, Damien Peach and Garry Palmer are all doing talks, as will be Neils Haage (Panther mounts)

Its all free as well ! ?

• Like 2

Just booked train tickets to go down on the Saturday.

Can anyone confirm if Alan Chapmans talk is in session 3 or 4 please? 

Normally (and i've seen him talk there multiple times) he's either 'Talk 4' - the last one in the morning session before lunch

or 'Talk 8' the final one of the day finishing at 17:30

They still have not finalised the lecture programme yet which is pretty poor imo.

They should remember people travel from all over the world to see this show, and visitors

need to know whos on to plan their visit.

I came away from there last year feeling a bit disappointed.

https://europeanastrofest.com/conference/

Pity i can't be there Pete to see it.

Allan Chapman is one of a kind. I hope you enjoy it ?

I'm still aiming to be there on the Friday.

I've not booked a conference pass, as i don't know whos on !!

So we'll see on the day.

Not really got much on the shopping list this year, but i hope to check out and maybe purchase one of those Amici diagonal thingys.

On 23/01/2019 at 18:20, Bino-viewer said:

Pity i can't be there Pete to see it.

Allan Chapman is one of a kind. I hope you enjoy it ?

I'm still aiming to be there on the Friday.

I've not booked a conference pass, as i don't know whos on !!

So we'll see on the day.

Not really got much on the shopping list this year, but i hope to check out and maybe purchase one of those Amici diagonal thingys.

Nothing I desperately need on my shopping list either at the moment, but it will be an enjoyable day in the candy store, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Allan Chapmans talk. ?

Rob, just a couple of points about the correct image amici prisms worth noting, that I'm sure you are already aware of...

1. They take up substantially more light path than a mirror diagonal.

2. The cheaper versions have very minimal clear aperture, which would cause vignetting in larger eyepieces with big field stops.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

Mick : i remembered yours was the APM diagonal, but i couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks for the link.

Its not on the APM UK site....Did you buy it from Deutschland ?? ?

Theres one on Teleskop Service, that looks identical (and €100 cheaper) but i'm assuming its the non Amici version ?

If Markus Ludes is at Astrofest Friday week i'll ask him.

I think the alot of the lightpath is swallowed up by the large 2" eyepiece holder.

Pete :

I'm also looking at the Baader versions, they take up a bit less lightpath, although the Clicklocks on them, while a good design, also take up a lot of lightpath.

Having said that the lightpath distance is not a big problem. I also don't have any 2" eyepieces at present.

Whats more important is whether the Baader version is T2 compatible once the Clicklock is removed.

If its not, that probably going to be a deal breaker.

I see Baader do a megabucks version, but i really don't want to pay that sort of price if i can avoid it.

If the APM version can be altered to allow a T2 female thread that would be what i'm looking for.

This is the diagonal from Baader i was looking at.

Minimal lightpath and T2 threaded.

Its less than half the price of the megabucks model !! Is that diagonal made of platinum or something ? ?

I appreciate it is only 31mm clear aperture, but thats ok for me.

I really want it for terrestrial / birding and general long distance spotting, not so much astro, although with Lunar observing it would be very useful.

Its listed on the TS website, but bizarrely, its not on Baaders own site. I can't find it anyway.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p608_Baader-90--Amici-Prism---with-T2-connection-on-both-sides.html

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fantastic day out at Astrofest. ?

Bit of delay getting there with the Circle line closed for maintenance and a slow bus ride that left us with a mile to walk due to a road closure.

Nice talk from Paul Abel about observing and sketching planets, and was thoroughly inspired by Allan Chapmans 300 year astronomical history talk. Bought his new book on which the talk was based, but didn't bother getting in the long queue to have it signed. Bought several other books including a signed copy of Nicholas Mees "Cosmic Mystery Tour". Saw all the latest gear, including some massive Planewave scopes slewing almost silently on 10 Micron mounts for the price of a luxury car. ?

Then a cheap upgrade to first class on the train home, with lots of free coffee. ?

• Like 1