We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
bryand

Monthly meetings?

bryand

When I were a lad (12 months ago) there used to be monthly meetings, often at Wymeswold, sometimes at Tannenbaum.

These seem to have fallen by the wayside.  Is that policy?

Sheila

Hi

No it is not policy but sometimes the staff cant always make it to these things or the weather is not very cooperative  LOL

Anyone can arrange a meet and shout out, but I am sure there will be one soon.

December is always a difficult one to arrange, and September and October are usually filled with Star parties and the like.  So there will be a

lack at that time of year

seven_legs

Was thinking the same.

i think meetings should be around the new moon if by any miracle it’s ever clear.

was speaking to rob(newtyng5) and was thinking the next meeting would be good on Saturday the 2nd of February at wymeswold site. The moon is new or nearly new as well.

Daz Type-R

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of meets, I keep thinking I must get round to booking them with WW so we have access to the club house and then never seem to get the time.

I can try and arrange the meets for when ever people want, I originally (last year) picked the last Saturday of every month, so that is was uniform, people knew when they were in advance and could plan ahead.

So going forward, what do you lot want?

1. Last Saturday of every month.
  2. Around the new moon as mentioned above (this could be on a school night !!!)
  3. Any other date / scenario? 

Also, attendance has been waning, lots of people used to turn up, now we have hardly any, I've heard people even saying it is too cold to go out, its cloudy, ETC ETC.

The monthly meets were designed, more than anything, to get like minded people out the house for one night a month, regardless of the weather, but as soon as it turned cloudy, hardly anybody turned up.

I also cannot get speakers in to try and entice members in, as people wont answer my e-mails as we are not a registered society, they just wont reply!

Let me know what you lot would like and I will see what I can do.

Regards,

Daz.

seven_legs

I would say Saturday closest to the new moon. 

For example i think if the next meeting was Saturday the 2nd of February then i would imagine that around the 2nd of march or  around that date it would be similar in terms of new or thin moon and so on for the following months. If that makes sense. 

bryand
4 hours ago, seven_legs said:

I would say Saturday closest to the new moon. 

For example i think if the next meeting was Saturday the 2nd of February then i would imagine that around the 2nd of march or  around that date it would be similar in terms of new or thin moon and so on for the following months. If that makes sense. 

I'll second that: nearest Saturday (or even Friday) to the New Moon.

Bino-viewer

I agree to a point, but as an enthusiastic Lunar observer myself, i think it would be a pity to completely avoid it.

I think as long as it sets in reasonable time everyone should be happy.

Edited by Bino-viewer

Streetbob
18 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I agree to a point, but as an enthusiastic Lunar observer myself, i think it would be a pity to completely avoid it. 

It would be a shame to avoid the moon completely, but a regular time each month helps when making arrangements.  I wont be able to make Feb 2nd if that goes ahead and Fridays are usually out too.  Apart from all that I'm easy and just meeting up.

philjay

I will go along with the flow. I cant make every meeting anyway due to circumstances, I dont mind the moon, in fact I have spent many hours over my time as an astronomer gazing at it and never tire of it so if theres a moon up I aint bovered.

Yes it would be nice to have clear nights for every meet but we have to expect carp poor weather for most of the time and the meetings are indeed a good excuse to get out and have a natter.

Perhaps an organised date for the meets would improve the attendance as folks could plan around them a bit?.

Edited by philjay

djpaul

It would be great to meet up . But my job as a d.j can get in the way . However I will attend a meet up when ever possible. ?

Barry Gowans

I'd love to come and meet you all, so I'd be up for that if it goes ahead.  

Daz Type-R

All, 

Sorry about not getting this sorted, had to pull a number of 20+ hour shifts at work (also writing this while at work when I only work Monday to Friday's), and as such, this has just slipped my mind.

If you want to meet up tonight then you can call an adhoc meet, I`m not sure if any staff are available to open up the club house at WW but that will not stop you getting into the ground (or Belper if preferred).

Failing that, how about we look to book Saturday 23rd February, no moon until 22:50 and then 75% illuminated, so should be able to get some decent views along the terminator (W word permitting).

If that is OK I will get that booked and then get all the other meets booked for the rest of the year.

I thought as close to the new moon as possible for the darker months and then as it starts to get lighter we could organise meets to incorporate the moon, just a thought.

Let me know what you think.

seven_legs

That’s sounds good Daz.

and thanks again for your effort, much appreciated?

Bino-viewer
On 02/02/2019 at 12:09, Daz Type-R said:

All, 

Sorry about not getting this sorted, had to pull a number of 20+ hour shifts at work 

20 hour shifts........?? ??

And theres me grumbling when i do a 10 !!

BaldSpur

I can’t do the 23rd but want to come to as many meets as possible! If anyone could give me a lift from Sawmills or hurt Arms that world be really great!

tuckstar
1 minute ago, Streetbob said:

I should be clear for 23rd.  Thanks Daz

Why oh why would you say that!!! If it's cloudy it's Streetbob's fault?

Streetbob

Doh! I just assumed Daz would have arranged clear sky's too!?