• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Imaging set up routine?

RonC

Hi, interested to know what your routine is when setting up for am imaging session?

I have been using RDF, finderscope and an EP for 2-3 star alignment then removing it, fitting the camera and refocusing.

Does anyone do the same but use the camera for alignment and focus setting and have you any tips on doing it??

Cheers

Ron

Apt and use pointcraft in Apt ron, setup take an image ,platesolve ,snyc mount i don't use a finderscope anymore.

I’m platesolving too Ron. I’ve used APT point craft in the past and it works a treat. Now has auto meridian flip which is handy. Reinvested the time saved doing 3 star alignment into more imaging. I’ve moved on to sequence generator pro which has very accurate solving and centres the target every time. Worth exploring.

15 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Can't find the APM files to platesolve??

Bit of leg work first ron , you need ASPS and platesolve2 first ,you also need to index files for asps (all sky plate solver ) though it is worth the effort in configuring .

https://ideiki.com/astro/usersguide/pointcraft_and_plate_solving.htm

Supported are two solving applications. Each has their advantages, so it is recommended to install both of them:

PlateSolve2 (PS2) made by PlaneWave Instruments. Makes fast near solving - requires approximate coordinates

All Sky Plate Solver (ASPS) made by Giovanni Benintende (uses local server of Astrometry.net). Makes blind solving - can take a bit more time to find the solution.

Both PS2 and ASPS are not included in the APT installation, so you have to download them separately. Make sure to make this step when you have access to good/cheap internet connection.

PS2 Installation:

Download PlateSolve2 version 2.28 from http://planewave.com/downloads/software/

Download the UCAC3 catalog

Extract the both ZIP files where you like (under Windows 10 it is better not to be in the "C:\Program Files"  and "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders)

Start PS2. From “File->Configure Catalog Directories” select the folder where the UCAC3 catalog is.

ASPS Installation:

Download 'All Sky Plate Solver' installer from http://www.astrogb.com/astrogb/All_Sky_Plate_Solver.html

Start the installer. It will download and setup a local Astrometry.net server. No complicated configurations!

After that it will open the index files downloader which will get only the data you need

You need at least one of PS2 or ASPS. After their installation go to PointCaft Settings to select the application folders.

Some notes about the installations:

If usually you are starting APT using "Run As Administrator" option, then start PS2 with the same option when you configure the catalog folder

If you want to share the Astrometry.Net index files between ASPS and AstroTortilla check this topic in the APT forum - http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=619

The next topics are explaining the PointCraft features in details.

8 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Can't find the APM files to platesolve??

hi Ron - I'd try All the Sky Plate Solver first program and indexes first. I didn't have any success with APT using the Plane Wave Plate Solver for some reason, even though this works for my Sequence Generator Pro setup. You're more than welcome to try - here's the link to the Plane Wave site where you can get APM and UCAC3 catalogues and Plate Solve 2.28. Both catalogues need to be installed in the correct folder on your PC - it is very fussy about them being stored in the Program Files (x86) folder. The files are huge

http://planewave.com/downloads/all/

Hope that helps

cheers

Chris

in asps run index wizard and input FL and imaging  camera sensor size, 1000D it is 22x15,1100D same size ,and yes hope you have fast internet indexes are large downloads 

Edited by Bottletopburly

As the mount is left permanently on the pier I dont need to do anything.

Put the scope on and go.

Mount is synced to CCD via EQMOD so is already aligned.

Open obs roof.

Put scope on.

Fire up the computer.

Open MAXIM
Open CCD

Slew to nearby star to target to check alignment adjust and sync if necessary. 

Slew to target and frame.

Open and calibrate PHD

Start imaging.

From opening the obs roof to imaging -- less than five mins. 

Edited by Graham

2 hours ago, Graham said:

As the mount is left permanently on the pier I dont need to do anything.

Put the scope on and go.

Mount is synced to CCD via EQMOD so is already aligned.

Open obs roof.

Put scope on.

Fire up the computer.

Open MAXIM
Open CCD

Slew to nearby star to target to check alignment adjust and sync if necessary. 

Slew to target and frame.

Open and calibrate PHD

Start imaging.

From opening the obs roof to imaging -- less than five mins. 

Same here except start teamviewer.

you forgot to check focus.

??

Edited by Ibbo

Well Dave that sounds like a lot of work to do and Graham I don't run EQMod since I got my Wifi dongle.

I really just wanted to know if anybody used the camera for alignment instead of an EP??

I don't use a lot of stuff in APT, just enough to get the subs in and keep PHD1.2 happy!!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

use finderscope and camera.

my mount is usually off a bit in RA but dec normally spot on unless I have had the solar scope on the big mount.

Thanks Steve, that's all I wanted to know!

RDF, Finderscope and cam on the WiFi!!

Ron

Ron

I've an AVX and first i rough polarscope align whilst I'm taking darks. Then i 2 star plus 4 calibration stars and then ASPA solely by RDF and camera live view. I then live view zoom at 14x on my Olympus or 10x on my Canon, to fine tune ASPA. With that routine, I don't feel the need to use any eyepieces.

But I've not had the mount long, so can't really speak from any long term experience.

As regards focus, I have made a Bahtinov mask for each and every one of my optics. Takes the guesswork out of focusing.

HTH

Kev

astro tortilla, brill bit of kit , fiddly to set up but if you follow the instructions on light vortex website it`s easy, slew to target, always off as i only polar align once in a while, run astro tortilla and it slews to centre of target.

On 02/02/2019 at 18:40, Bino-viewer said:

All sounds very technical and complex to someone like me......?

Me too. Lol