• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

William Optics Redcat 51

Bino-viewer

I am after a baby telescope and will be going to the Astrofest tomorrow to order or buy one.

In addition to the RedCat there is also a WhiteCat that is white and gold. If you want some information have a look at these photographs taken with it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/williamoptics/44312265585

Redcat 51 Witch Head Nebula courtesy of Mehmet Ergün from Germany

I have narrowed my choice to the WO Zenithstar 61 and the WO WhiteCat 51. I will make the decision at the show.

3 hours ago, Cathy Grimes said:

I am after a baby telescope and will be going to the Astrofest tomorrow to order or buy one.

In addition to the RedCat there is also a WhiteCat that is white and gold. If you want some information have a look at these photographs taken with it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/williamoptics/44312265585

Redcat 51 Witch Head Nebula courtesy of Mehmet Ergün from Germany

I have narrowed my choice to the WO Zenithstar 61 and the WO WhiteCat 51. I will make the decision at the show.

Hi Cathy, thats interesting! Welcome to EMS.

I went to the Astrofest on Saturday and saw the only RedCat in the country. It looked good and I pre-ordered a white and gold one. I chose it over the WO ZS 61 because it didn't need a reducer/flattener and weight is a consideration when I go on holiday, even 0.5kg makes a difference. 

10 hours ago, Cathy Grimes said:

I went to the Astrofest on Saturday and saw the only RedCat in the country. It looked good and I pre-ordered a white and gold one. I chose it over the WO ZS 61 because it didn't need a reducer/flattener and weight is a consideration when I go on holiday, even 0.5kg makes a difference. 

Good for you Cathy, I hope you let us know how you get on with it. ?

did you enjoy the rest of the show?

cheers!

I had a look at the Redcat at astrofest. Very nice looking little scope, and very solid and heavy for its size. Nice and easy to pack away for travel ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Good for you Cathy, I hope you let us know how you get on with it. ?

did you enjoy the rest of the show?

cheers!

I will let you know how it goes, I think that I will get it in early April so don't hold your breath. Unfortunately I was faffing around and when I was about to book the conference tickets I discovered that the there were no places left. That did not stop me enjoying the show. I met up with six people from the USA eclipse and we had lunch in a French restaurant. After ordering the RedCat I was looking at scopes on the David Hinds stand and a man came over an said "Hello", he was on the Libyan eclipse with me. We had a nice chat about eclipses, astronomy and my friend who went to Libya with me who is no longer a friend because of his bad behaviour. After asking one of the salesmen on the David Hinds stand about the Celestron StarSense, I discovered that you can use it to perform an All Star Polar Alignment, I thought that you could do it but some people on the internet said that you couldn't. I was told that it should work with a CGEM II mount but not on a wedge, the software does like it. There are some trees where I live and I have read that if the star is close to some trees, the missing stars in the StarSense image can confuse the plate solving. The reason why I asked about using StarSense was because I had problems doing polar alignment. Firstly the original orientation of the mount was quite a way out. I found it time consuming using the supplied finder scope because I wasn't entirely sure where it was pointing because the alignment was too far out. After sorting that out, I pointed the scope at the wrong star. That is what happens when I get cold and my brain doesn't work. I bought a red dot finder to assist with the All Star Polar Alignment, I think that I will find it easier to use than a finder scope because I will be able to see where the telescope is in relation to the alignment star. A nice set of eyepieces arrived last week with a 70 degree field of view so they should help as well. I thought that the StarSense might be of help but I am concerned that the trees might mess it up. I just need to get a few clear skies and practice. Thursday looks good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did notice the redcat at PAS yesterday,very nice too and reminded me pavle posted a video on youtube of a focuser coupled onto the redcat 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chris P. said:

Pre ordered mine from Rother Valley Optics - still waiting?

Get them to check /confirm  collimation they’re having teething problems 

5 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Get them to check /confirm  collimation they’re having teething problems 

?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Deepskydad has done a test of his friends redcat with autofocuser after printing a toothed adapter @Chris P.

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Deepskydad has done a test of his friends redcat with autofocuser after printing a toothed adapter @Chris P.

Sweet! The guidescope is bigger than the Redcat? - and RVO have just contacted me to say my Redcat arrives tomorrow ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris P. said:

Sweet! The guidescope is bigger than the Redcat? - and RVO have just contacted me to say my Redcat arrives tomorrow ??

Sweet look forward to see your piccys ?