• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dew heater controller failure

Streetbob

My Hitecastro dew heater controller didn't work when I plugged it in last night.  Disappointed, so now looking for a replacement.

There are 4 I'm looking at but can't decide.

First is the Kendrick https://www.altairastro.com/standard-kendrick-dual-channel-dew-controller-2x-channels-4x-outputs.html which is known to be good.

Also Astrozap https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/astrozap-dual-channel-dew-heater-controller.html or Revelation https://www.telescopehouse.com/accessories/dew-removal/revelation-pro-dual-channel-dew-heater-controller.html which is a bit cheaper.

I also came across this website https://www.dewcontrol.com/Quad_Channel_Digital_Dew_Controller/p3099125_13437764.aspx

which looks interesting.  Anyone had any experience with these?

Theres a lot of unreliable junk out there i'm afraid.

I think the Kendricks are ok......although don't get the (white) standard duel channel dew controller - 2 channels, 4 outputs (£107 !)

I had one of these, and they are crap, overpriced rubbish.

If you are going Kendrick, get the Digifire 8 or 12.

Much better build quality, but imo, overpriced (like a lot of astro gear) as well.

I've had the Digifire 8 a couple of years now, and so far, so good.

I've also got a very basic one from RVO

Its fairly cheap, no bells and whistles, but works ok if you want something basic.

But overall, i don't think any of them are 100% reliable.

I'm afraid cheaply made components and electronics, mixed with prolonged cold and damp equate to inevitable problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a two-channel DewControl device and it works fine for me.

I also have an eBay-sourced PWM contoller capable of running up to 8 amps.  Generates a bit of RFI, but otherwise OK and sensibly priced.

large.powersource.jpg.9a2d508dcd1f9dd72721ffddc95d9185.jpg

I decided I had nothing to lose and took the controller apart.  One of the power cable leads had broken away from the board and so some soldering and a burnt thumb later the controller is working again.  ?  However I don't know how long it will last as there is nothing supporting the cable and so any movement or pulling on the cable is transferred directly to the soldered joints which is why it failed in the first place.  At least it gives me time to decide on a replacement.

2 minutes ago, bryand said:

I have a two-channel DewControl device

It looks as though it has 4 dew tape connectors, is that the case?

Think I may have a similar issue with my hitecastro dew controller. Need to get a multi meter on it. I think one of the ports nay of given up the ghost.

This was the one i was referring to earlier.

Believe it or not they retail at £110

I reckon they cost whoever makes them about £5 - £10 to manufacture.

They are complete junk.

Avoid, avoid avoid.

21986140271_2148df26bd_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

28 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

Think I may have a similar issue with my hitecastro dew controller. Need to get a multi meter on it. I think one of the ports nay of given up the ghost.

It's worth having a go.  It is only 2 screws to get apart.

18 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

They are complete junk.

Avoid, avoid avoid.

Thanks for this. I shall use proverbial barge pole.

50 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

It looks as though it has 4 dew tape connectors, is that the case?

The picture shows the £8 eBay PWM controller, not the £49 dual channel Dew Control device.

I have both the Hitecastro 4 channel and the dewcontrol.com 4 channel mentioned above. Both work fine, but I like the look and feel of the latter best.

My Hitecastro was stripped and placed inside a bigger control hub fixed to the 14" dob rocker box. One night I must have accidentally knocked the unit with my leg and didn't realise till the next day that I'd lost one of the four knobs sticking out. Never found the knob.

They had the same controller at Astrofest so I asked if they had any spare knobs. The kind lady on the stand is going to post me one FOC and only wanted 50p for postage. ?

No knobs to get knocked off of the smooth finish dewcontrol.com version.

The dewcontrol.com isn't silly money so may try that when the Hitecastro gives out.

On 11/02/2019 at 13:49, Bino-viewer said:

This was the one i was referring to earlier.

Believe it or not they retail at £110

I reckon they cost whoever makes them about £5 - £10 to manufacture.

They are complete junk.

Avoid, avoid avoid.

21986140271_2148df26bd_z.jpg

Just to add insult to injury I have had this exact model for over 5 years now running 5 dew heaters off it (don’t ask) and it’s been working great!

Saying that, I bought it when it was £70 and thought it expensive at that price. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Doc said:

I've always used R-Sky dew controllers and bands never had any issues with them.

They are Russian but delivery was quick.

They look good and solid, I guess they would have to be to survive a Russian winter.

5 hours ago, BAZ said:

he would likely repair it for you.

Thanks Baz. I have repared it for now, but not sure how long it will last.

5 hours ago, BAZ said:

I have had an Hitech unit for years.

Perhaps I was a bit rough with it.