• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50, DDR or Japanese!?

tuckstar

great detective work as graham said, i am no bino expert had a pair of binos as a kid 12x50 until they broke , i bought my lad a few years ago a pair of https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-FBA_8-40-DPSI-Binocular/dp/B0001M3612  and for their money they are a great pair really clear,and when funds allow i will get a pair of 10x50 or 12x50 in the olympus flavour if you get the chance give them a try read the second review on amazon compares them to an old pair of zeiss he had years ago at a fraction of the price . 

An excellent post there Andy. Why, if you have the capability to fake something like Zeiss, don't you start producing your own brand and improve it to the best you can make it. These fakes by all accounts weren't bad in their own right. They just were not as good as the original Zeiss.

• 8 months later...

I bought two 10x50 Jenoptems at an auction recently, one of them genuine Zeiss, the other Japanese built. The Japanese were in perfect condition but the Jena built 'glasses' needed work on the focussing wheel (which had siezed) and there was fungus on both prisms. I have had these minor blemishes rectified by a  well known repairer and then went through exhaustive tests on both. There is no doubt that the German pair are more sturdy. In use however, I have to say I much prefer the Japanese which my repairer has confirmed (in his opinion) were made under licence from Jena; the optics are superb, the focussing wheel (plastic) is much easier to use and the eye glasses are a larger diameter and do not 'fog up' like the German ones. I bought a very early pair of Nikon 8x30 porro prism 'glasses' back in the early 1960's and they are far better than the CZ Zeiss Deltrintems, although probably on a par with the Stuttgart build in that era. To finalise, don't rule out the 'official' Zeiss Japanese build if you see them and as they are being so maligned by many, you might get them at a good price.

I agree, also not just that brand too. I bought some Japanese bins second hand 8X40's  and they out perform much more expensive binoculars. It could also be that they suit my eyes as I suffer from astigmatism. They are my go to set and I would never part with them.

Welcome to the forum Jon!

Edited by BAZ

• 3 years later...

Oh blow, they may be original but the objectives have a little mold attack on the outside coatings and a few minor spots of fungus on the inside surface. They still out perform othe binos in that size though.

• 5 months later...

Just this morning received my new pair of Helios 10 x 50 Naturesport-Plus high resolutions binoculars. I also bought the Celestron Astromaster eyepiece and filter kit for my telescope both with 10% off too from Tring Astronomy Centre.