• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Red Kites

Doc

No it's not, I did see the Red Kite go down to the waters edge but dissappeared behinf a grass bank. A lot of birds flew into the air and the Red Kite came up with something in its talons so I presume a small wader. This is strange as Red Kites are scaffengers not normally killers but I suppose they will kill if there is no roadkill around.

1 hour ago, Brantuk said:

Smashing pics - I especially like the airborn ones ?

Few more being posted on my Flicke page Kim.

I'm pleased with it Rob. It performs better at 500mm, at 600mm it's a little soft which makes it look like it's a tad out of focus, I've tried tweaking it but can't seem to make it better. I'm saving up for a Canon 7d ii at the moment, as i think it could be the camera.

They have a very good reputation don't they ?

And the 1.6x crop factor will certainly give you some good close ups...

I'm surprised they only have a 'fixed' rear screen.

I would expect the Mk 3 version to have that when its released.

Even the 6D2 has that now.

I've looked at a few reviews, generally very positive, although don't expect high iso levels to be up with your 6D

Edited by Bino-viewer

Great shots Mick, I suppose the Kite could have picked up some carrion on the bank, not known for taking live prey??

Ron

Superb shots Mick.

I have noticed that the Kites are moving more and more towards our direction. At one time they were over by Stoke Rochford south of Grantham, a year later they are down the A52 near Bottesford and this year I have seen one this side of Melton down the A606 near Nether Broughton. I can't see it being too long before they are competing with the Buzzards round here.

I know Martyn, it wasn't that many years ago you had to make a special trip to Griggin Farm in Wales to see them.

They have spread very quickly.

I was gob smacked last summer when I saw a pair of them over the Chevin near Belper.

Excellent pics Mick

Ever since the reintroduction program at Fineshade Wood South of Stamford they have spread very rapidly in all directions. I travelled to Wales to see them in 1987!!

Buzzards and Magpies have spread down from Yorkshire over the last 10 years, in 1988 whilst doing a 24 hour bird race, (around Peterborough) no Buzzards were seen and only 1 Magpie!!

Buzzards hunt but Red Kites are scavengers but I have seen them fighting and the Red Kite came out on top!! In France every village 'tip' has Red and Black Kites, be nice to see a Black Kite in England..

Cheers

Ron