We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Doc

Meet Tuesday 26th Feb at Tannenbaum Campsite

Doc

If the forecast is correct and we do have clear skies how about an observing session up at our Belper darksite at Tannenbaum Campsite on Tuesday 26th Feb meeting at 19.00.

At the moment myself, Binoviewer, and Streetbob are going to be there.

Can one of the mods arrange this with Sharron please so the gate is unlocked.

newtyng5

Sounds good to me. Myself and sevenlegs will be there, if the weather continues to look promising. The meeting had a good turnout, we didnt stay long however. 

bryand

I'll be there.  Took a look at the site this afternoon - no campers, but ground looks dry.

seven_legs

Looking for to checking Orion out properly for the first time in ages, especially with my 16in scope. 

Doc
3 hours ago, tuckstar said:

I've let Sharon know. Gate should be open.

Thanks Andy.

Bino-viewer

I aim to be there just after 18:00hrs to give me time to set up and let the mirror cool a bit.

Will the gate be open then.....??

My reason........i want to try to bag Mercury through the scope before it sets 

and having seen it at work yesterday, i know its currently at its best for viewing.

Bino-viewer

By the way...........just checked Flo's Clear outside weather.....

everything is looking good till around midnight, then the clouds arrive.

Doc

Seven of us turned up and I think we all had a good night, the skies were good but not excellent, the milky way wasn't visible at least to my eyes. The temperature was a barmy 8° so no need for any dew heaters.

Saw a lot of stuff and as usual have made notes so will do an observing session report in a bit. Myself and Rob were the last to leave the campsite at 12.30.

Edited by Doc

philjay

Yeah, I enjoyed it a good turn out.

Wow 8 degC on that hill in February, doesnt seem like a year ago it was snow drifts and minus 10, oh it was a year ago.

Bino-viewer

Plenty of DSOs ticked off the list last night.

I miss my Planets though......Mercury and Uranus don't quite cut it !

I set up early to get a look at Mercury and could just about make out its phase.

Transparency didn't seem that good, although it improved a bit later on i thought.

Seeing was also only average at best. No sign of the 'E' star in Orions M42 Trapezium.

I'm just wondering if the Saddleworth Moor fire which started earlier in the evening had any effect ??

But a very enjoyable evening with nice company.

The 12" was in good form, no dewing issues to worry about, and its a treat to arrive on site in February

with the thermometer showing 11ºC and still reading +6 just after Midnight.

And another observing with me just using a single pair of eyepieces.

My 24s are ideal in the Dob, with the binoviewers 'powerswitch' giving 'just right' magnifications of 60x , 90x , or 120x

Less time fiddling with lenses and caps and filters and more time observing.

All of the objects observed last night were either Galaxys (its a good time of the year for Galaxys!) open and globular clusters

and a good few doubles and other bright stars thrown in as well.

One of those was Mu Cephei, aka 'The Garnet star'

That was a beauty, and its companion was there i think too, despite its low altitude.

Its certainly an object i'll be returning to again, and as an eclipsing binary, it will be interesting to follow its variable brightness.

My DSO list included :

M31, M32, M1, M42, M35, M36, M37, M38, M44, M67, M81, M82, M95, M96, M65, M66, M84, M86, M104, M51, M101, and i1 or 2 others,

A few NGCs as well. I won't list them all.

I saved the best till last :  M13, and despite being a little low it looked stunning in the 12"

With these faint objects, i sometimes only looked at them at 60x and found out last night that with a bit of extra magnification,

they often look much better.

Thanks to all for a good night, and for sharing the views through your own scopes.

It was a 6 hour session from start to finish.

I'm looking forward to doing it all again soon ?

Streetbob

I had a really good night.  Thanks to Mick for his help and to Rob for showing me some sights in his 12" Dob.

I was able to find most of what I came for, and some extras too, even though I left my list & Star Atlas behind. Doh!

I was pleased with the views through the 102 Refractor and the Hercules mount was easy to set up and use.

Looking forward to doing it again.