• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Solar 21/5/12

Guest Fluke

Guest Fluke

Well another first today.

Got home from work and the sun was shining so thought I'd set the Mak up with the Solar filter.

It took about 5 minutes to get it in the eyepiece but what a sight!

Absolutely stunning with 3 nice groups of sunspots.

I'm glad I've got a solar finder on the way to make the setup a bit easier, and safer.

Loved the view through the 35mm - it's a shame it's going as part of the Revelation set I'm selling. The Hyperion zoom is great but I think I need a nice 35/40mm eyepiece for easy going solar viewing if anyone can recommend one?

The Sun is looking good through white light at the moment, and will get better for next year as the solar max is reached.

I have a Celestron 40mm eyepiece, which I picked up for a tenner, that is not a bad eyepiece for the money. I have no idea what they cost new.

Sorry, yes I have......bargain.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-omni-plossl-eyepiece.html

I have to agree Dan. Having recently purchased some solar film myself i know what you are saying about stunning. Nice Sun spot groups and a lot of brighter patches visible especially nearer to the edge of the disc, plus i also managed in moments of better seeing to just make out some granulation today.

Having the solar film has changed Astronomy for me for the better and i now wonder why i did not purchase it a long time ago.

With regard to eyepiece choice, i find i have the best view at about 35x magnification.

Guest DN18

3 nice groupings of Sunspots again today.

Same ones as yesterday ?...Unsure how long each lasts

"It certainly opens up Astronomy to a whole new level :) "

Yes it does. These Baader A4 sheets are now easily my best seller.

With the long days, people are finding astronomy can still be enjoyed in daylight

Guest Steve

Finally made it outside at lunchtime with my off-axis filter. Found the sun using the Smallest Shadow technique... + a little manual searching. A close view of the sun with my Hyperion zoom, but maybe I need something just a tadge wider to get in the whole disc. And I ended up grabbing a shirt off the washing line to put over my head to cut down on the background.

Just the one spot today - disappointing as there were 3 groups yesterday when I looked through binos! But still amazing.

And boy, was it hot out there! :wacko:

Guest Fluke

Looking through Binos sounds eyesight threatening Steve!

I use the Hyperion zoom too and don't feel it's ideally suited as like you say the 24mm almost fills the view.

I've tried a 35mm lens and found that ideal.

Guest Steve

Looking through Binos sounds eyesight threatening Steve!

Well I was going to keep quiet about this one.... but let me introduce to Wall-E:

I found a builder's prop in the garage that I got from Aldi many moon's ago and never used - it has a movable foot and head, and adjust in height, so a great DIY monopod.

Then I was looking at a way of safely attaching some Baader film to the binos, and found a box that was exactly the right size, and a flap that acts to shade you from the sun when you move your eyes away.

Married together - bingo.... and now the kids call me Wally!

Edited by Steve