• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M81

Bottletopburly

Love the detaails in the lanes David, well worth getting that extra data..

• Like 1

Messing about with the colour ,not sure if it looks better or not 

m81 doublestack

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tuckstar said:

I prefer the colour in the last one too.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

The second one is definitely the best to my tastes 

Yes i prefer last one as i managed to tease more structure out ,

Dave that's developing well. Did you use bias frames as darks and if so how did it handle the noise. I know startools final noise reduction is quite good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dave.hardy2 said:

Dave that's developing well. Did you use bias frames as darks and if so how did it handle the noise. I know startools final noise reduction is quite good.

Yes Dave because I now dither I take bias frames and load those into the darks calibration in DSS  that seems to be the way to do it with dithering, and it definitely helps smooth the image out , I would recommend dithering Dave I only use  a 1000d which is a noisy camera for ap , yes startools noise reduction is very good 

Thanks for that it would certainly give more time on target. I dither but thought you had to take darks at the same temp as the main sub. My bias frames are made up of a out 150 frames. Do you take bias frsmes every time or just every so often?

3 hours ago, dave.hardy2 said:

Thanks for that it would certainly give more time on target. I dither but thought you had to take darks at the same temp as the main sub. My bias frames are made up of a out 150 frames. Do you take bias frsmes every time or just every so often?

I had been taking bias at each session bit will now just take 30  bias frames and use as a master and only redo it every so often so that only leaves having to take flats ,with dithering you don't need darks as your dithering averages out the hot pixels by moving a few pixels at every dither ,load bias frames master  into the darks when using Dss or what ever stacking program you use .