• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tragedy strikes.

Graham

Had a slight mishap yesterday. ?

Whilst setting up the Astro EQ box of trick and getting the stepper motors wired up the right way round I managed to stand on the Astro EQ box and broke it.

OH Dear, silly me I said --- well something like that. 

So that ended the drive for the mount.

Whilst pondering what to do today at work I had a Eureka moment.

What is to say I cannot use the old HEQ 5 I have sitting here as a driver and power source for the new mount.

All that is needed is to change the settings in EQMOD to custom gearing and it should work.

Well I check up on the theory when I got home from work and as far as I can see it proves to be correct.

I have asked Chris Hilto the question as I need to know what the slew offset will have to be.

Just waiting for a reply.

If it turns out to be a goer I will purchase a NEQ 6 motherboard and use that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Had a slight mishap yesterday. ?

Whilst setting up the Astro EQ box of trick and getting the stepper motors wired up the right way round I managed to stand on the Astro EQ box and broke it.

OH Dear, silly me I said --- well something like that. 

So that ended the drive for the mount.

Whilst pondering what to do today at work I had a Eureka moment.

What is to say I cannot use the old HEQ 5 I have sitting here as a driver and power source for the new mount.

All that is needed is to change the settings in EQMOD to custom gearing and it should work.

Well I check up on the theory when I got home from work and as far as I can see it proves to be correct.

I have asked Chris Hilto the question as I need to know what the slew offset will have to be.

Just waiting for a reply.

If it turns out to be a goer I will purchase a NEQ 6 motherboard and use that. 

Yes i see your question pop on Eqmod group ,im sure chris will reply with the relevant info graham ?

A minor hitch for a man of your calibre Graham! I'm sure you'll figure some way to get it working, I've every faith in you mate!!  ?

Thanks folks.

I will definitely sort it with a doubt.

As they say these things are sent to try us. ?

Well the good news from Chris is it will work.

I will have to make it direct drive thus reducing the ratio down to 804 to 1 as my original ratio was far too many steps for the motor software to handle. 

I have just ordered in another pair of timing pulleys and belts so I can make the motor to worm ratio 1 to 1.

Happy days ?

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Graham said:

Well the good news from Chris is it will work.

I will have to make it direct drive thus reducing the ratio down to 804 to 1 as my original ratio was far too many steps for the motor software to handle. 

I have just ordered in another pair of timing pulleys and belts so I can make the motor to worm ratio 1 to 1.

Happy days ?

I am glad you know what your doing graham