• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Last piece of the puzzle

Graham

It is all coming together very quickly, do you ever find time for eating, or sleeping? ?

I hope you can show us a video of it in action at some point... when you stop for breath ???

Well that didn't go quiet to plan.

The motors all work exactly as planned using the custom mount settings in EQMOD.

The bad news is the motors do not have enough grunt to turn the mount.

So it is on to plan number two.

Decided to bite the bullet and I am currently involved in the process of purchasing a Servocat and Argonavis set up to drive this using high powered servo motors.

More to follow as it happens.

I am now the owner of an Argo Navis hand held Astronomy computer and  a Generation 3 ServoCAT motor driver.

spacer.png

spacer.png

More to follow as it happens

Edited by Graham

11 hours ago, Graham said:

I am now the owner of an Argo Navis hand held Astronomy computer and  a Generation 3 ServoCAT motor driver.

spacer.png

spacer.png

More to follow as it happens

That postman was quick Graham ?

New optical encoder governed servo motors  and cables ordered in from Servocat in the USA. 

New optical encoder and cable for each axis ordered in from Argo Navis in Australia. 

This is taking on a multinational flavour. 

• Like 1

How does all that work graham absolutely clueless , encoders ? Servo motor all new to me 

Basically the servo motors are very powerful electric motors which will run incredibly slowly without juddering. 

They have an optical encoder built in. 

These encoders send pulses to the  Servocat computer as they turn so the Servocat computer knows exactly how many revolutions the motor does to get to an exact point in the sky. It also means the computer knows what rate to turn the motors for tracking. 

The ArgoNavis unit also has another pair of encoders one mounted on each axis. 

These encoders also send pulses 20,000 per revolution of the axis to be precise. 

This means no matter what you do with the mount the ArgoNavis computer knows exactly where the scope is pointing. Using this information the ArgoNavis can work out where everything thing is in the sky and how to get there.

Once you have done a two star alignment and locked it in to the system the mount can locate and track just about everything up there from planets through to man made satellites totally independently.  No need for any computers. 

Once you have built up a sky map of say 50 stars it will track a target all night long without error using a feature called sky lock.  So no guiding needed for dso imaging. 

• Like 2

On 23/03/2019 at 02:42, Graham said:

Basically the servo motors are very powerful electric motors which will run incredibly slowly without juddering. 

They have an optical encoder built in. 

These encoders send pulses to the  Servocat computer as they turn so the Servocat computer knows exactly how many revolutions the motor does to get to an exact point in the sky. It also means the computer knows what rate to turn the motors for tracking. 

The ArgoNavis unit also has another pair of encoders one mounted on each axis. 

These encoders also send pulses 20,000 per revolution of the axis to be precise. 

This means no matter what you do with the mount the ArgoNavis computer knows exactly where the scope is pointing. Using this information the ArgoNavis can work out where everything thing is in the sky and how to get there.

Once you have done a two star alignment and locked it in to the system the mount can locate and track just about everything up there from planets through to man made satellites totally independently.  No need for any computers. 

Once you have built up a sky map of say 50 stars it will track a target all night long without error using a feature called sky lock.  So no guiding needed for dso imaging. 

Thanks for bringing me up to speed graham very clever stuff

The good news is the Argo Navis and the Servo Cat computers have arrived safe and sound.

Just need the Optical encoders to arrive from Australia and the motors to arrive from America and I will be up and running.

• Like 2

More good news .

The encoders arrived from Australia today.

Just the motors from America to complete the jigsaw. 

New gears arrived today so I an now manufacture the bits and bobs I need to mount the encoders on the RA and DEC axis.

Going to gear them up to a 3 to 1 ratio giving me 30,000 pulses per 360 degrees.

Which if my math's is correct should give me sub arc min / arc second positioning and tracking. 

• Like 3

Well that's the bits and bobs made.

If the weather plays ball I might get them fitted when I get home from work tonight.