• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Northern lights

DaveJW

As Rob says, I’ve always wanted to see them myself.

a few non astronomical friends went and saw them and they said they could not see any colour and that the northern lights looked liked grey clouds. Is this true?

You got lucky there, they don’t always show!

Fab shots!?

Did they look as good naked eye? ?

On 16/03/2019 at 12:25, seven_legs said:

As Rob says, I’ve always wanted to see them myself.

a few non astronomical friends went and saw them and they said they could not see any colour and that the northern lights looked liked grey clouds. Is this true?

Hi Tony,
I heard that too. The first couple of times we saw the lights there was no discernable colour  - I suspect that when they are weak there is not enough light to activate the colour receptors in your eyes (rods/cones? - I can't remember).

On 16/03/2019 at 15:54, Smithysteve said:

You got lucky there, they don’t always show!

Fab shots!?

Did they look as good naked eye? ?

Thanks Steve,
They looked better naked eye! We got short burst of pinks/purples & strobe effects at the most intense point.

On 16/03/2019 at 20:45, Doc said:

These are great Dave. Where did you book the holiday Dave as I've always fancied one of these.

Thanks Mick,
It was a P&O cruise but booked through Bolsover cruise club (though could have booked direct with P&O, the price was little different). Sailed from Southampton.
Other cruise lines do similar tours too.

If you or anyone else here decides to book I learnt a few things that might help you so give me a shout.

On 16/03/2019 at 12:14, Bino-viewer said:

Spectacular !!

I've always wanted to see them myself, but never have....

I've seen them but before I had a DSLR or even a compact digital camera.