• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Max bright opinions

tuckstar

So, not really eyepieces but, thinking of getting a maxbright bino viewer for my little zeiss telementor. Is only 63mm and I'm not sure if being such a small aperture whether it would have enough light transmission to make it worth while. And of course the only 1.25 eyepieces I have are my Clavè. Getting a matched pair could be difficult. Also would it work with my amici prism. What do you bino guys think?

Edited by tuckstar

I'm guessing you're buying preowned?

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/bino-viewer/maxbright-binocular-incl.-case.html

A bino should work on an f/13 scope for lunar/planetary or bright DSO's. M42 is really good with a bino. I use a modified William Optics Amici with my bino's. 

hPVSimW.jpg

I've replaced the helical focuser with the drawtube from a standard GSO Amici. 

Some bino's need to be used with a GPC or nosepiece Barlow to achieve focus when used in a refractor, although I believe that it's only problematical with fast refractors.

bEj6vvd.jpg

My WO bino with its included WO 1.6x nosepiece Barlow.

A few issues spring to mind....

Mainly, i'd be very surprised if you would have ANYWHERE NEAR the infocus required to reach focus (especially using the amici prism)

which would mean using a Barlow or GPC (glass path corrector) and i'd have my doubts if the 1.25 0r 1.7x gpcs would work either.

And if i remember right, the GPCs you use on the Maxbright screw into a matching Baader diagonal rather 

than the binoviewer itself.

Having said that you don't have a focuser on that scope, and the lens cell itself moves enabling you to focus.

I guess it depends on how much travel there is available ?

But, you could try with a Barlow......it may work, but you'd end up with a rather overmagnified view, and probably rather dim

image as a result, with only 63mm aperture. They'd be a fair bit of light falloff around the edge of your fov as well i would think, but if you are using Claves

it may not be too bad

You'd probably also see quite a bit of sphero-chromatism (with a Barlow) as well, which trust me, at high powers isn't good.

If you want to try my set up with a 2.6x gpc you'd be more than welcome, but problem is i only have a T2 / 2" fit on the

scope side. You'd need a T2 / 1.25" fitting, and i don't think i have one in my inventory.

Out of interest, which Amici do you have Andy......?

If its the Baader 45º that may work as it has a 2x gpc built in.....

I just tried my WO binoviewer on my 60 mm guidescope.  Beside focussing issues, the weight was a major problem, since the binoviewer + lenses (988 gm) are almost as much as the scope (1050 gm).

Edited by bryand

16 minutes ago, bryand said:

I just tried my WO binoviewer on my 60 mm guidescope.  Beside focussing issues, the weight was a major problem, since the binoviewer + lenses (988 gm) are almost as much as the scope (1050 gm).

This is why my WO's are used mainly on my 127mm Mak lol. Weight balance and focusing were a problem when I once tried them with my ST80.

Edited by Nightspore

In fact IIRC the first time I tried the bino's on a short tube refractor the stock ST80 focuser unthreaded scaring the pants off me as I watched the bino and expensive eyepieces revolve towards the ground! Luckily nothing fell off. Ever since I've stuck with catadioptrics.

Edited by Nightspore

Thanks guys.

That's the beauty of the telementor 2, as the focusor is internal it will take a great deal of weight screwed directly on to the ota. It has plenty of focus to play with.

My prism is the baader zeiss 1.25 with a T2 nose and T2 baader click stop eyepiece holder.

I have come across an older thread on cloudy nights where some one has used one with a tele but very little details on how it performed. But a great diagram of how to attach.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580089-zeiss-telementor/

I have seen a maxbright for sale with the 1.7 gpc. Tempted to take a punt, but it would be an expensive punt, could always stick it on the newt

Edited by tuckstar

You're a star Steve. Any idea when your next at a meet? Not sure where you are based.

not sure if I can will pop up to nest Tannenbaum one.

Westwood

Edited by Ibbo

21 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

not sure if I can will pop up to nest Tannenbaum one.

Westwood

I could always pop over for a brew one weekend. If you can't make a meet, Pm your address if that's ok. Thanks 

2 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Thanks guys.

That's the beauty of the telementor 2, as the focusor is internal it will take a great deal of weight screwed directly on to the ota. It has plenty of focus to play with.

My prism is the baader zeiss 1.25 with a T2 nose and T2 baader click stop eyepiece holder.

I have come across an older thread on cloudy nights where some one has used one with a tele but very little details on how it performed. But a great diagram of how to attach.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580089-zeiss-telementor/

I have seen a maxbright for sale with the 1.7 gpc. Tempted to take a punt, but it would be an expensive punt, could always stick it on the newt

Be aware the 1.7x gpc is closer to 1.5x than the actual 1.7x it states.

Also the clicklock eyepiece clamp itself (while a nice design) eats up around 10-15mm of lightpath as well. It may seem inconsequential, but mm count when binoviewing with refractors.

If you go for it but find the 1.7x insufficient i have the 2.6x version you can try out.

(The Baader GPC in 1.25 and 1.7x are different designs for the Maxbright and Mark 5. Not compatible. However the 2.6x is the same design for both and is compatible)

Using the 2.6x gpc will mean a 63mm aperture scope working at F35 !  Maybe not what you want. A 20mm plossl will give you 109x

It may work and i'd be interested in knowing how you get on.

There is also a dedicated Newt gpc that Baader make (i think its 1.7x) if you want to try it with your Dobsonian further down the line.

Speaking of Maxbrights, I doubt Baader will ever distribute them again. Probably as the unit retail price would be prohibitive as there are plenty of competitive smaller binoviewers. 

1 hour ago, Nightspore said:

Speaking of Maxbrights, I doubt Baader will ever distribute them again. Probably as the unit retail price would be prohibitive as there are plenty of competitive smaller binoviewers. 

Apparently they have been working on a Mk2 for sometime, but still not on the horizon, and it will be a higher price point. Might drive the secondhand market down a bit.

1 hour ago, tuckstar said:

Apparently they have been working on a Mk2 for sometime, but still not on the horizon, and it will be a higher price point. Might drive the secondhand market down a bit.

I only know rumours and what Baader say on their page. If the new Maxbright is considerably more expensive than the William Optics, TS Optics, Celestron and any of the generic small bino's I'm not sure how successful it would be on the market. I really think they're having second thoughts about the whole project and have basically put it on hold. 

WO bino's aren't far off 300 quid these days. It depends on what the new Maxbright bino's overall retail price is. The US is one of the biggest markets and Baader products tend to be expensive there. It depends how much more people will be prepared to pay to own a Baader pair of small bino's.

4 hours ago, tuckstar said:

You are correct. Its been in the pipeline for 2 or 3 years now, and is a redesign, and yes it will be a higher price.

I'm guessing it will be around the £500 mark, give or take.

3 hours ago, Nightspore said:

I only know rumours and what Baader say on their page. If the new Maxbright is considerably more expensive than the William Optics, TS Optics, Celestron and any of the generic small bino's I'm not sure how successful it would be on the market. I really think they're having second thoughts about the whole project and have basically put it on hold. 

WO bino's aren't far off 300 quid these days. It depends on what the new Maxbright bino's overall retail price is. The US is one of the biggest markets and Baader products tend to be expensive there. It depends how much more people will be prepared to pay to own a Baader pair of small bino's.

I think its almost ready for release. These are the rumours from official vendors who are in contact with the Baader people.

I certainly expect it to be released sometime this year, and i'm looking forward to checking out the specs.

When you look at the market in the US (or anywhere else) for premium big prism binoviewer choices, there are 3 choices : The Tele-vue system,

The Denkmeier / Earthwin system and the Baader Mk V.

All pretty much the same ballpark sort of price, give or take.

Its Baaders T2 compatibility and their excellent range of prisms and diagonals that give them a definite edge, in my opinion.

I've always been a big Baader Planetarium fan. 

Top notch gear, German build and design dating back to the Zeiss days. The quality of their prisms and the multi coatings they apply to their optics are exceptional.

I think the new Maxbright will do very well. 

1 minute ago, Bino-viewer said:

I think its almost ready for release. These are the rumours from official vendors who are in contact with the Baader people.

I certainly expect it to be released sometime this year, and i'm looking forward to checking out the specs.

When you look at the market in the US (or anywhere else) for premium big prism binoviewer choices, there are 3 choices : The Tele-vue system,

The Denkmeier / Earthwin system and the Baader Mk V.

All pretty much the same ballpark sort of price, give or take.

Its Baaders T2 compatibility and their excellent range of prisms and diagonals that give them a definite edge, in my opinion.

I've always been a big Baader Planetarium fan. 

Top notch gear, German build and design dating back to the Zeiss days. The quality of their prisms and the multi coatings they apply to their optics are exceptional.

I think the new Maxbright will do very well. 

I hope you're right as it would be a nice addition to the market. In the UK it might be more competitively priced, but TeleVue products are cheaper Stateside and most Americans I've spoken to would rather buy a Delos than a Baader Morpheus as the prices are similar between the two over there. Whereas here the Morpheus is significantly less expensive. Unless that's changed. 

I'm not sure what Baader products are actually manufactured in Germany, not many I'd wager. 

I would like to see the new Maxbright, but I'm not optimistic.

3 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

I'm not sure what Baader products are actually manufactured in Germany, not many I'd wager. 

I would like to see the new Maxbright, but I'm not optimistic.

This one is.....?

Have faith, the new Maxbright will soon be here. 

32881505798_184995e80e_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

12 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

This one is.....?

Have faith, the new Maxbright will soon be here. 

32881505798_184995e80e_c.jpg

Yes, I know that is. It's not cheap though lol.

Edited by Nightspore

• 1 month later...

So I have final got round to trying out Ibbo's maxbright bino viewer on my zeiss. Just set up as usual and stuck the bino viewer in. As expected I couldn't focus. Screwed the prism directly on to the ota and the bino viewer screwed directly on to the prism and.......got focus with a pair of 19mm eyepieces.?

Tried a pair of 15mm but couldn't quite reach focus, in fact it was so close I could focus one eye with the diopter. So I reckon with a gpc, and I would need a rotator ring, should be good to go. 

The views were amazing with both eyes. So much more depth. Although hard pushed for resolution when compared to my Clavè in mono. Had some stunning views tonight with the 16mm and 18 of the luna 100 ticked off. So much easier to navigate the moon with an amici.  

Edited by tuckstar

So I can't find a maxbright for sale anywhere. I know there is one on abs but no response from the seller.

So, I'm looking at the wo bino viewer set which comes with eyepieces and barlow. But, I don't think I'll get focus with the barlow as it may be too long, I don't know if it can be attached directly to my t2 prism. If I need to buy a gpc rather than the barlow then the cost starts mounting. So then I'm thinking Baader mkv. 

Any opinions on the wo?

Edit, found some Maxbrights ?

Edited by tuckstar

Glad to hear you've tracked a pair down Andy ! ?

Enjoy the views.

The WO is also a very nice system as well of course, the supplied eyepieces are a bonus. Its just missing that T2 connectivity.

Next time we are at a meet, i will bring my (Newt) 1.7x gpc along for you to try them out in your Newtonian.

I also have a dedicated 'high power' 2.6x  Baader diagonal if you want to try it and crank the power up a bit.

The views might be a bit dim though at F35 ! Lunar may be ok though....

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with the Maxbright. Keep us posted ?

I'm hoping I have. RVO have said they can get one but will be a few weeks. I'm ordering the 1.7gpc with it. Got a pair of 18.3mm delites on there way as well. Cried it card is taking a battering, especially as I may of brought a little something from clavè as well.

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 2