• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

White balance on a modified dslr

Bottletopburly

I was reading an interesting article by Jerry Rodriguez http://www.astropix.com/html/i_astrop/customwb.html about Modified Camera white balancing  - Modified Camera with a light pollution filter. Use a custom white balance shot with the filter on the camera 

i will have to bookmark and have a good read later 

i have no idea what my camera is set on (canon 1000D) so do I just change wb to custom and take a photo of a white piece of paper with filter in place ? If anyone has any other tips for wb on a modified dslr I’m all ears ? 

Are you talking about astro or terrestrial shooting, David?

I did the whole custom wb and white/grey card thing myself, briefly in the past. Ultimately, I found it too much faff and not much use for moving subjects. I then bought an OWB clip filter and never looked back. Optolong do one for peanuts.

https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-owb-ccd-original-white-balance-clip-filter-for-canon-eos-aps-c-cameras.html

For astro, I'm not sure it matters as we shoot in RAW anyway?

Happy to be corrected, though. 

7 hours ago, 8472 said:

Are you talking about astro or terrestrial shooting, David?

I did the whole custom wb and white/grey card thing myself, briefly in the past. Ultimately, I found it too much faff and not much use for moving subjects. I then bought an OWB clip filter and never looked back. Optolong do one for peanuts.

https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-owb-ccd-original-white-balance-clip-filter-for-canon-eos-aps-c-cameras.html

For astro, I'm not sure it matters as we shoot in RAW anyway?

Happy to be corrected, though. 

Astro , did a bit of digging and general consensus is that jerries method is irrelevant as wb can be sorted in processing anyway as Astro is captured in RAW as you say .

You put the LP filter in the camera, and then use a piece of neutral grey card, (can get from camera shop) then at around midday on a bright day with sun behind take an image of the grey card, fill the fram with it, and save the image and set it as your white balance, then in daytime you pictures will come out pretty normal looking, Also night images will be easier to process... HTH

Edited by MeadeUser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MeadeUser said:

You put the LP filter in the camera, and then use a piece of neutral grey card, (can get from camera shop) then at around midday on a bright day with sun behind take an image of the grey card, fill the fram with it, and save the image and set it as your white balance, then in daytime you pictures will come out pretty normal looking, Also night images will be easier to process... HTH

Thanks I will give it a try , nothing to lose , my filter is on the end of the CC so can’t use a lens to focus does that matter or should I put camera on scope and aim it at the card 

4 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Thanks I will give it a try , nothing to lose , my filter is on the end of the CC so can’t use a lens to focus does that matter or should I put camera on scope and aim it at the card 

Hmmm, well you would normally put a lens on, as with canon cameras clip filters are very often used...so if you can’t do that then am not sure as the card really needs to be in focus, so as long as it’s far enough away to focus then I guess what lens you use does not matter... ?