• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Minimal ED80 Kit

Nightspore

bMuCeIJ.jpg

I can get all the above in the ED80 case. This tends to simplify things for me. Occasionally I take a 19mm Panoptic out in my pocket with it. 

36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric (sometimes the 31mm version)

TeleVue 2x Barlow

Usually ~ 9mm Bresser 60º 'Plossl', 7.5mm Sky-Watcher (Barsta) Plossl, 6mm Vixen NPL

2" Sky-Watcher dielectric diagonal, 1.25" William Optics Amici diagonal (modified)

Aomekie reflex sight

4fbGLtn.jpg

Anyone else have a minimalist kit?

Good kit but why 2 diagonals? Surely a 2"- 1.25" converter would be even less kit?

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clarke said:

Good kit but why 2 diagonals? Surely a 2"- 1.25" converter would be even less kit?

Ron

Thanks. Yeah, normally. I prefer a correct image rather than mirrored for lunar viewing. I do have a 2" APM Amici diagonal.

tJVAi8F.jpg

It's a tad heavy though to rotate in the focuser for me. I'm partially paralysed in the right arm and hand and the stock ED80 focuser doesn't rotate, so can be a little awkward. The dielectric is lighter to handle. 

tQnFtYV.jpg

Oddly, I actually prefer an inverted view for lunar viewing. lol

Edited by Nightspore

I changed my ED80 pro stock focuser for a Moonlight for the same reason + an extra finderscope bracket..

8 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

I changed my ED80 pro stock focuser for a Moonlight for the same reason + an extra finderscope bracket..

I've been considering that. Does it fit back into the stock Sky-Watcher case with the Moonlite? I have had focusing problems after adding TS Optics (GSO) Crayford-rail focusers to my short tube refractors.

gSwC3qN.png

NHSyXLQ.jpg

After a lot of trial and error I discovered that a 35mm extension tube brought the ST102 more or less back to its original length.

PV7NC40.jpg

PjszLmn.jpg

Eventually I discovered that the APM diagonal didn't need the 35mm extension tube and everything focuses in it without an extension tube.

yBuKikj.jpg

Yes, just 3 screws. Simple to do and i have no trouble focusing a DSLR or a CCD cam..

11 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Yes, just 3 screws. Simple to do and i have no trouble focusing a DSLR or a CCD cam..

Sounds good. Does it add much weight to the rear of the OTA?

tlHnX8Y.jpg

My ST80's always seemed focuser heavy after modification. As a consequence they were usually used with 1.25" diagonals, depending on which mount I used.

Edited by Nightspore

Not much different, as long as it's balanced properly it's been great. it is now motorised using an AF1 focuser..

12 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Not much different, as long as it's balanced properly it's been great. it is now motorised using an AF1 focuser..

OK thanks for the info. The ED80, rather like the ED72, are both well balanced scopes anyway I find.

• 1 month later...

ED80 compression ring visual back.

uBdtblu.jpg

Slightly cheaper than a Moonlite lol.

bbCTtd8.jpg

Makes rotating the focuser smoother.

L34B65Z.jpg