• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tannenbaum Thurs - First attempt at narrowband....

Derbyshire Dave

Looks to be a good start Dave, well done (sorry I can't help with the processing!) ..

Ron

• Thanks 1

Great start to the world of narrow band Dave.

You do not say how you are combining the channels in PS.

There is no need to create a new image as you can use the HA as a base and then add the other two channels to that.

You do need to be stretching and basic processing of each channel before you combine them.

This way you can balance up the backgrounds so they are all roughly the same brightness.

Good tutorial on Hubble can be found here.

http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

• Thanks 1

Graham.

Thank you. I'm out at the moment, but will have a look at the link when I get home.

The method I used to combine the three images was..

1)Paste them all as layers in a PS document, without any tweaks or stretching.

2)By hiding one layer, selecting the first of the remaining in 'normal' blending mode, and then the second remaining in 'Difference', I jogged the two layers until they were exactly on top of each other.

3)Hide that layer, then repeat the process so that the 1st and 3rd layers are aligned. Effectively all layers are now aligned.

4)Crop inside slightly so that there are no issues with misaligned borders.

5)Then one layer at a time select all, then copy. Copy the appropriate layer into the appropriate channel in the other document

6)When all three images have been pasted into the new document, switch the channel selection to RGB, and save the document.

So at this point I have not done any tweaking, stretching, or colour balancing, that was done afterwards.

I'll have a good look at your suggested link tonight. Hope you get another sunset like the images you posted, although realise the time difference too!

Cheers

Dave

Have tried Graham and Steve (Ibbo's) recommendation for Hubble Palette manipulation, thanks to both for helping out. Struggled in the implementation, but it's obviously early days.

Result is below.

Heart Hubble Adjusted

• Like 2

Yup that's a whole lot better. 

You can see the different elements in it now.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Kev, I feel a bit waterlogged a lot of the time though!