• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Altair ULTRAFLAT?

Nightspore

I bought the 15mm at PAS.  I find that my varifocal glasses don't give the best views with my 82 deg eyepieces so thought I'd give it a try.  The 15mm works really well for me and gives me better viewing.  They are well made, feel solid and aren't as expensive as 82 deg eps.  Stars stay accurate for most of the FOV, but do loose shape close to the edge.  I'm thinking of trying the 10mm.

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:

I bought the 15mm at PAS.  I find that my varifocal glasses don't give the best views with my 82 deg eyepieces so thought I'd give it a try.  The 15mm works really well for me and gives me better viewing.  They are well made, feel solid and aren't as expensive as 82 deg eps.  Stars stay accurate for most of the FOV, but do loose shape close to the edge.  I'm thinking of trying the 10mm.

Thanks for the info. What was the focal ratio of the scope you were using it in? I was thinking of the 15mm for my ED80 as it would give a 2mm exit pupil. 

Edited by Nightspore

I’ve used it in my 200mm reflector and Starwave 102 refractor and have liked the view in both. I’ll take it along to the meet on Saturday. If you can make it you can see it at least. 

7 hours ago, Streetbob said:

I’ve used it in my 200mm reflector and Starwave 102 refractor and have liked the view in both. I’ll take it along to the meet on Saturday. If you can make it you can see it at least. 

OK thanks. I also have a 102mm, f/7 Altair Starwave. So if it's good in an f/7 scope it should be good in the f/7.5 ED80.

• 2 weeks later...

8raiSUk.jpg

Daylight tests in the ED80 seemed OK. The eyeguard rolls down nicely. I'm not so sure of the claimed 16mm eye relief. Seems more like 12-13mm to me. I can believe the 65° AFOV although they may be rounding it up a little.

v45pUBc.jpg

Similar in overall size and appearance to the 19mm TV Panoptic.

xrStmWI.jpg

It's a more manageable size for me on the ED80 than the Luminos.

cLiWcOU.jpg

It will be interesting to see how it compares with the 15mm HR.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a good session with the 15mm ULTRAFLAT last night (ED80). I'm quite impressed, stars were sharp virtually across the field and I could detect no hint of false colour or any astigmatism. definitely a keeper!