• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sawley or belper

wobby83

Just wonderd if anyone will be going to either of the above dark sites this weekend as weather is looking good and I've never been before and I'd love to come along, cheers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daz Type-R

• wobby83

• catman161

• Doc

I wish I could but I'm travelling to Scotland on Sunday, so I have to be a good boy. :(

I can't busy both nights, Saturday is my sons football tounament then at night the football annual meal, then Sunday night is the football award ceremony so a busy weekend for me.

I'll try and get along for a couple of hours but can't promise just yet. It all depends on how busy we are on Sat - last chance weekend to prepare for our camping trip on the following Sat. Will let you know nearer the time. :)

I'm a possible for sat at sawley. Depends if I get the wedding menu choices spreadsheet sorted and the corresponding place name settings and table plan ;( will also let you know. We will need someone's key if we go to sawley-is it Martyn that holds the key?

I havent a clue who has key as I have never been,I'm sure some of the bigger boys of the bunch will know!😉😉looking forward already

I believe Martyn and Mick are key holders to Sawley. I'm sure Martyn will be along at some point, I'm on call this week so shouldn't really, but never been to the Sawley site so if that is where everybody is going, I will see if I can join you, it would be rude not too!

If you are going to Sawley on Saturday I can meet you down there and open the gate, it will have to be before 19.00 as I'm out for a meal after that. Then that person can have the key to lock up.

Is the building works still on at the power station?

I only ask as last time EMS members were down there the seeing was not great as the building contractors had massive lights up (all night!!) which was affecting the LP.

Also, it does not get dark until about 22:30 and even then, it is not very dark (I beleive astronomical twilight is all but gone due to summer arriving ??????)

What time was everybody thinking of getting down there?

If Mick and Martyn are not going I could allways get the key off Martyn (if I am going) as I will have to drive past his house to get to Sawley.

Well I wasn't planning on being there before 10ish due to the light. Thts I I get my wedding stuff sorted. If you could get the key that'd be great daz.

Guest Steve

Ooh, I might be up for a Sawley visit. Never been to a get together before, so it would be good.

I need to get a battery sorted for my mount though. I guess a trip to the nearest caravan shop to get a Leisure battery.

I finally worked out how to get my mount working by strapping my Asus Transformer tablet to the mount and using SkySafari to point at Polaris and then run through the align procedure :)

Ok chaps, I am on call this week so as long as the pager does not go off I will come along, If Martyn is not coming, I will pick the key up off him and aim to get there around 9:00 ish to set up in some light and have a chat with anybody else who is there at that time.

Great ill get there for 9 aswell, what's the address please? Can someone please help me as my tracking rod has a little squeak but can't locate exactly were it is, I have some wd40 I can bring along, thanksðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Guest Steve

Hi Mick, that link only works if you are a Dark Site member - not friendly for the people who aren't and actually need the map :D

You do not have permission to view this forum.

Guest Steve

If you pop these into Google you should be about right I think: 52.8647,-1.287117

Can someone confirm please?

Spot on. :)

Can I just remind everybody that the use of the darksites are subject to the annual membership fee of £20 (bargain), your first visit to both sites is free (just to see if you are happy) but for any visit there after you need to be a memeber.

We have to keep the lights on some how! ;)

Hopefully the works at the power station will have finished and the seeing will be good, if it is anything like the last 2 nights, the haze has been terrible.

Fingers crossed!

Guest Eddy

Thats the one Steve, the gate on that corner leads into the field and there's a little concreted area too.

Edit: Daaaaz! :angry:

Edited by Eddy

Thats the one Steve, the gate on that corner leads into the field and there's a little concreted area too.

Edit: Daaaaz! :angry:

You snooze you lose!!!!!

;) ;) :D

Sorry I didn't think.

The address of our Sawley dark site is as follows:

Warren Lane,

Sawley,

Nottinghamshire,

NG10 3AE

Co ordinates;

52 degrees 51' 52" North

1 degree 17' 16" West