• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sawley or belper

wobby83

At least we managed to get your OTA collimated, as for your mount, that noise made a few people stop what they were doing and look up! Can't be good :(.

And as for the smack in the mouth, once again very, very sorry, it really was one of those "it's over there, wallop" moments!

Hope your boys enjoyed themselves?

I will get a report written up over the next few days.

Hope everybody had a great time, it was nice to meet some new people and help out where I could.

See you at the next meet!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daz Type-R

• wobby83

• catman161

• Doc

Lol yeah you took off pretty fast lol! Good to see you got back no problems, was it an easier way for you? Sorry for the sudden braking on the way out, did you see those cute little rabbits? They were all over the road lol.....

Haha Daz it was pretty funny.....thanks for collimating, I wasn't far out....I need to get a cradle for my laser to collimate it. Just a shame my mount died, that noise sounded really bad. It's not done that before, but you see what I mean RE drop then snap back.....Oh well. The boys had a great time thanks, we are looking up the ISS right now, my phone says 01.45 yet ISS tracker puts it over Aus right now....

Oh according to heavens above, the ISS passed already :(

27 May 00:21:08 10° S 00:23:53 26° SE 00:26:36 10° ENE

Edited by Celeste

Found this bit of info

The speed of a satellite around a single body in a circular orbit correlates inversely with its altitude, and positively with the mass of the body it orbits.

A satellite in geosynchronous orbit 35786 km above earth's surface rotates around the earth in the same amount of time that it takes the earth to turn around once (so it stays above the same spot). The satellite is moving much faster than the earth's surface, though, because it must cover much more distance in the same amount of time. A geosynchronous satellite is moving at about 3.07 km/sec.

Lower orbits are much faster. The space shuttle at 300km is moving at more like 7.73 km/sec.

For comparison, the earth's surface at the equator moves at a leisurely 0.46 km/sec. To obtain a circular orbit of this velocity around earth, you would need to be at an altitude of around 1.6 million km. It would take you more than 7 months to complete an orbit, if you weren't pulled away by another solar system object first.

Hope you guys all had a good time last night - looking forward to any reports of the evening. Sorry I had to bug out but I struggled through yesterday with millions of stuff to do and a cramped stomache all day. Come 9pm and I was exhausted and still not finished.

Feeling much better today - gonna set the solar scope out in an hour so. So if anyone local fancies popping round for a quick squint just drop in anytime after 10:30am or send me a pm for directions. All welcome :)

Guest Fluke

Enjoyed last night. Good to see everyone again.

Was impressed with M13 through Daz & Felix's Dobs. Love my Mak but it doesn't cut the mustard on DSO's.

Guest Eddy
:lol: yeah I saw all those rabbits getting confused by the headlights, that way basically cut out the horrible thin road to the marina so it was worth it :)

Sorry i missed you all, the wofe came in very apologetic eventually. I, ever the gentleman said it was ok but she owes me big time :-)

Got a scope out here and did some lunar and saturn then a load of doubles

Sounds like a great night, did the powerstation have their floodlights on.

No Mick, they did not.

There was one smack between two of the cooling towers, it was that bright you could see your shadow.

Iam glad that's gone.

Had a good might. Great to meet some of the folks from on here in person. Bagged a new messier object (M13). Which brings my total to 12 ha ha! Pathetic I know :)

I didn't tick off M3 as I only found it with the bins an not the scope. Good time had by all I hope.

Edited by catman161