• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Round Ali plate, for Pier Adapter

MeadeUser

Hi,

i am in the process of buying a new EQ8 mount, and have acquired some parts for my pier extension from a very kind gentleman on here...

but am now looking for anywhere that I can buy a single piece of round Ali plate, 7.5-8” diameter by 20mm thick, I have the metal for my pier extension but as buying a new mount I also need the pier adapter plate, which for the EQ8 are simply just flat, with a few M8 holes some with threads, which I can do no problem...

many thanks for any info or links to online company’s you know of that do this type of small job...

?

Edited by MeadeUser

50 minutes ago, Graham said:

I use these people.

https://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-by-category/round-bars/aluminium-round-bar

8 inch round billet 20mm thick £14.85 + VAT

Ah now I have seen this company, and the round bar, but was not sure if that was the right thing, so will it come with smooth faces or rough cut...?

It will be a cut finish but it will be pretty good. 

I normally get mine five mill thicker than I need and machine it back on the lathe.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

It will be a cut finish but it will be pretty good. 

I normally get mine five mill thicker than I need and machine it back on the lathe.

Ok, well a lathe is something I don’t have, and would have no idea how to use, so if I need to smooth a bit, how is best to do that without a lathe... ?

sorry for all the questions.. ?

1 hour ago, MeadeUser said:

Ok, well a lathe is something I don’t have, and would have no idea how to use, so if I need to smooth a bit, how is best to do that without a lathe... ?

sorry for all the questions.. ?

You could send it down to me and I will do it for you.

9 hours ago, Graham said:

You could send it down to me and I will do it for you.

That’s very kind of you, I think I will order it, and see what it’s like when it arrives, it may well be fine

But many thanks for the offer.... ?