• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M13 1st time

Starman 1967

As a visual astronomer you are talking dark arts, meaning I have no clue what you are talking about. But I love the shot. Great first first attempt, well done

• Thanks 1

I use phd 1 and if the star doesn't move enough you simply increase the pulse width in the settings before you calibrate. I would imagine phd 2 will be the same.

Pulse width is called steps if memory serves me correct. 

Nice shot by the way.

• Thanks 1

Nice first try ? , you could have been guiding on a hot pixel  have you taken a darks map and loaded it in phd2, you can do this in the house , 

did you calibrate and did it go through the steps successfully ?read the tutorial on phd2 site , 

run the guiding wizard and accept its recommendations , also read this if you haven’t done yet not that I’m an expert by any stretch of the imagination 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I’ll have another bash with phd2 next time we get some clear sky. Shan’t hold my breath waiting for that.?

Thats right.  With the pulse size setting, bear in mind it needs to calibrate for different field of view guidescopes.  So what is a sufficient movement pulse for one scope is not enough to register any movement (and therefore to have enough movement) for another.