• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

AWOL

Tweedledee

So nice to hear from you again Pete, we were all worried something might have happened to you.

Sorry to hear about your depression and cataracts, as you say something an astronomer can do without, but I'm sure once they are operated on, you will feel much better. 

As for bee keeping talk to Rusty Strings he keeps bees.

As I said nice to hear from you and don't be a stranger, you have loads of friends here.

Good to hear from you.

Enjoy your garden project.

We are still here -pop in when you feel like it.

Good to hear from you and hope the operation goes to plan, you deserve it too. 

Take care

Ron

Great to see you back.

Was getting a little worried about you.

Best of luck with the eyes,

Keep in touch ?

Good to hear from you Pete ? hope all goes well with op  and thanks for letting us all know what you’ve been up to , Garden looking good too .

Good to hear from you Pete.

Fingers crossed for your cataract operation.

Get well soon ?

Hi Pete, great to hear from you again. 

I am really sorry that you you have been through the mill with cataracts and depression, I hope the cataract op goes well and you get usable vision back. I also hope you are getting the correct help with your depression too, I have been through it and I am never sure if a cure is entirely possible.  The NHS may sadly not be in a position to offer the help you might need, but finding a Councillor on my own really helped, it was almost a light switch moment. 

The garden looks magnificent and regarding night vision, give me a shout, I have made a homebrew black light (940nm) IR night vision and it works up to over 100m away. Not in really full high def, but certainly usable.

All the best Pete.

Good to see you are sorting stuff out.  We were getting a bit concerned about you ☺️

Good to hear from you Pete! Your good humour, encouraging remarks and depth of knowledge is already being missed on EMS!

Your garden and new hobby looks interesting, Keep in touch matey! ?

Nice to hear from you Pete and sorry to hear your having a rough time. Hope all goes well with the op and pop in anytime.

Edited by philjay

Hope all goes well for you.  You are missed on the forum for your advice and encouragement.  The pond looks fantastic and I find being more involved with the local wildlife is so rewarding.

Nice to hear from you. I can totally get your depression. I get it myself and have a few short/medium term issues that aren't going away in a hurry. I find astronomy helps me, as long as I don't wind myself up too much by trying for the perfect shot. As most of you know, I am somewhat financially challenged but am aware that some of the kit I have fills a nice niche that other peoples' kit doesn't.

I find that the NHS gives me just enough sessions to start unpeeling layers and then it stops.

From what I've learned depression and anxiety is all too common and several family members have it. Unfortunately, a few years ago, I lost a cousin to suicide. I understand a lot about what triggers it in my case but do not have an easy solution.

Hi Pete.

Good to hear from you.

I also had major issues 2 years ago with my eye sight.

So I fully understand what cloudy vision feels like.

Take care.

Regards Paul 

Edited by djpaul

I didn't "Like" your original message. However, I would like to give you some further encouragement. Just drop in from time to time to let us know how you are getting on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Pete, it's fantastic to hear from you again. We have missed you!

Nothing much has changed, always cloudy and wet for major astro occasions! 😄

You are right though, the quality of the imagers hard work has become something to look forward to, though I remain steadfastly a MKI eyeball user.

Welcome back Pete!

Hi Pete, great to hear from you. Was worried you'd totally packed up when I saw someone had bought your kit!

Hope your keeping well mate.

Hi Pete lovely to hear from you hope your well and Happy 😃👍

Edited by Bottletopburly

Hi Pete ; its great to hear from you. I hope you are well and rest assured your input and extensive observing knowledge on here  is very much missed.

I think its fair to say that visual astronomers on here are becoming a bit thin on the ground.

The meets we arrange are often sporadic, and usually pretty quiet.

I try and get to as many as i can but often find shift work a big problem which dents my aspirations somewhat.

But when everything clicks into place, those are the nights that make it all worthwhile.

We had such a night back in August for the Perseid meteor shower. 

Quite a few of us were there, and we had 2 or 3 hours of fairly clear skys and enjoyed the show.

I still intend to image more and as i approach retirement i want to learn the ropes and give it a proper go,

but at the same time, try and keeps things relatively simple.

I currently own 3 telescopes and have invested in a couple of decent refractors with that in mind.

I also have a recently acquired 10" Newtonian that i intend to use on a purely visual basis that i still

have not even used, as i'm currently waiting for a part for the focuser. 

And at some point i'll have to invest in another EQ mount even though i'm not a lover of them, much 

preferring the simplicity of an alt-az system.

But whatever i do in this hobby, the main objective is to have fun, and enjoy the views.

The night sky never disappoints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/10/2021 at 00:00, Tweedledee said:

Nice to see that Nightspore is doing a great job reminding people what an eyepiece is 👍👍👍. Is there an eyepiece he doesn't have in his impressive collection? 👍🙂.
Best regards,
Pete.

Hello Pete. Good to hear from you. I know about depression, I find eyepiece retail therapy really helps lol. All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pete

Great to hear from you, I was only wondering the other day how things were with you. Bad luck with the catarracts and depression. Gardening and nature are great therapy and I owe a lot of my recovery from ME tyo wandering aimlessly around the country side when I was able to walk properly again. Also faffing in the garden but I was never a big gardener and anything I did had to be approved by the head gardener (swmbo) 🙂

Yep the image quality on here has come leaps and bounds over the years making my job for POTM extremely difficult :-)

Anyrode keep on the mend, keep safe and pop in from time to time you are always welcome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1