• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 Control

Werisit

Hi folks. My local Astro Society has been given an HEQ5 mount (Not Pro) but without hand controller. We would like to run the mount from a computer. I've read that the motors need to be wired direct to an RJ45 cable, by-passing the internal circuit board. 

Does anyone know how to connect the motors to the RJ45 cable, ie what colour goes where? There are 6 wires on the RA motor and 4 on the Dec motor but only 8 on the RJ45.

Any help gratefully recieved,

Alan.

Thanks guys, I've pm'd Graham and he's asked me to post some pics. That's interesting Dave. We don't need to fast slew or guide, just fine tune position and track.

How do we insert images now please?

Thanks guys, I've pm'd Graham and he's asked me to post some pics. That's interesting Dave. We don't need to fast slew or guide, just fine tune position and track.

How do we insert images now please?

47848277001_f9b38d03af_o.jpgImg_2072small by A PIGGOTT, on Flickr

46931933485_3b28ed6a45_o.jpgIMG_2075smalll by A PIGGOTT, on Flickr

46931938395_3a1339d196_o.jpgImg_2126small by A PIGGOTT, on Flickr