• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Big Mak

Nightspore

17 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Big.....?? ?

Medium i'd say ?

It's big for me as I'm partially paralysed on the right side of my body. I have limited dexterity and range in my right arm and fingers.

Out of interest have you used it terrestrially ?

Is the image inverted and / or left / right flipped ??

I was looking at a Mak recently on UKABS and although the vendor acknowledged my enquiry, (in to buying)

i've not heard anymore. Maybe its been sold....?

Edited by Bino-viewer

13 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Out of interest have you used it terrestrially ?

Is the image inverted and / or left / right flipped ??

I was looking at a Mak recently on UKABS and although the vendor acknowledged my enquiry, (in to buying)

i've not heard anymore. Maybe its been sold....?

I'm guessing it is inverted and reversed, like a refractor, as I use an Amici prism which gives me a correct image.

jjXNzF3.jpg

Edited by Nightspore

So a mirror diagonal will invert the image then ?

But a prism will be the right way up, like a refractor ?

17 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

So a mirror diagonal will invert the image then ?

But a prism will be the right way up, like a refractor ?

Erm ... a mirror will reverse the image. If you put an eyepiece directly into a refractor or catadioptric (with no diagonal) I believe the image is inverted and reversed. A conventional prism and mirror diagonal will un-invert the image so it will be upright.

An Amici prism will un-reverse the image as well so it will be a normal terrestrial view that is both upright and non-mirror reversed.

I think lol.

Edited by Nightspore

I find it all rather confusing.

My initial though with your mak ....

image of a distant terrestrial object for eg a wind turbine would enter the scope and hit the primary

and be then inverted. When it then hits the secondary mirror on the meniscus its inverted once more the right way up again.

If you then place an eyepiece directly in the focuser (without a diagonal) it will give an upright  but mirror reversed image.

If you use a mirror diagonal as well the mirror diagonal will invert the image a third time AND be mirror reversed.

Thus to get an upright, correct image type view you simply use a Amici diagonal to see things as the eye would.

Or am i incorrect ?

2 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I find it all rather confusing.

My initial though with your mak ....

image of a distant terrestrial object for eg a wind turbine would enter the scope and hit the primary

and be then inverted. When it then hits the secondary mirror on the meniscus its inverted once more the right way up again.

If you then place an eyepiece directly in the focuser (without a diagonal) it will give an upright  but mirror reversed image.

If you use a mirror diagonal as well the mirror diagonal will invert the image a third time AND be mirror reversed.

Thus to get an upright, correct image type view you simply use a Amici diagonal to see things as the eye would.

Or am i incorrect ?

That sounds about right, I forgot about the Gregory spot secondary. I either use an Amici or dielectric mirror in my refractors and both images are upright, but reversed with the mirror and normal with the Amici. I'm pretty sure that it's the same with Mak's, but I'm not sure why.

The meniscus lens must act like a refractor objective. A Newtonian only has two mirrors but the image is inverted and non reversed. My brain hurts now lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2003 model on a EQ3/2. I would say it's a medium Mak. I can't afford a 150 or 200mm and probably couldn't carry it anyway. It's a great instrument.

10 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I have a 2003 model on a EQ3/2. I would say it's a medium Mak. I can't afford a 150 or 200mm and probably couldn't carry it anyway. It's a great instrument.

Portability is a big factor for me. Mak's are great for certain things, especially high magnification and contrast. 

I have a small Mak.

sQ16i5H.jpg

It still fascinates me that I've seen a Martian polar cap with a telescope that could potentially fit into a large coat pocket lol.

• Like 1

Ive owned two Maks over the years, an Orion Apex 127 and a Skywatcher 180. Both excellent performers, my 127 gave stonking views of Saturn one year and the 180 was spectacular for lunar. They needed to be treated right to give those views though, if they werent cooled enough you couldnt get tge detail. The 180 was sold because it was too heavy for me and it could only really be used at full potential due to weather conditions.

However I recommend them as a viable, cheaper alternative to more expensive Apo scopes. If you want colour free views for a lot less money than an Apo then Maks are great.

I've always had a longing for a Russian Maksutov scope.

There's something about them......and Russian optics are right up there with the best of the best.

They don't seem to have THAT good a reputation amongst the planetary imaging brigade, who generally prefer SCTs

and suffer with things like thermals and cooldown etc.

There was an IM 715D on UKABS not long ago and i put a cheeky bid in on it.

I heard back from the vendor, but unfortunately the scope already had a buyer.

2 hours ago, philjay said:

Ive owned two Maks over the years, an Orion Apex 127 and a Skywatcher 180. Both excellent performers, my 127 gave stonking views of Saturn one year and the 180 was spectacular for lunar. They needed to be treated right to give those views though, if they werent cooled enough you couldnt get tge detail. The 180 was sold because it was too heavy for me and it could only really be used at full potential due to weather conditions.

However I recommend them as a viable, cheaper alternative to more expensive Apo scopes. If you want colour free views for a lot less money than an Apo then Maks are great.

Yes, cool down is a factor even with the smaller Mak's.

CxzChGc.jpg

I mainly use mine for lunar and planetary observing. I've experimented with focal reducers threaded into the eyepiece to gain bigger exit pupils, but for me, they are really a high magnification instrument.

Edited by Nightspore

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I've always had a longing for a Russian Maksutov scope.

There's something about them......and Russian optics are right up there with the best of the best.

They don't seem to have THAT good a reputation amongst the planetary imaging brigade, who generally prefer SCTs

and suffer with things like thermals and cooldown etc.

There was an IM 715D on UKABS not long ago and i put a cheeky bid in on it.

I heard back from the vendor, but unfortunately the scope already had a buyer.

I like the Synta Mak's, they're relatively cheap lol. Russian optics have always had a good reputation. I'm not sure why Mak's aren't used so much by the AP mob. I was told that over about 180mm an SCT was better than a Mak for some reason.

T1R0s4x.jpg

Don't buy an 'Omegon' Mak. These are also marketed as the Kasai Pico. They won't focus properly above about 30x and seem to mainly consist of Bakelite.

ewhSTMk.jpg

I ended up buying the 90mm Orion after being hugely disappointed with the Omegon 'MightyMak'.

• Thanks 1

I've seen one or two threads over on the CN 'Cats & Casses' forum (and on SGL) that advocate fully insulating these telescopes, the dew shields as well.

It seems to help a lot with the thermal management of these things.

I wonder if any users on here have tried it ?

This is the scope i was looking at by the way.

Quite a beautiful looking telescope.

Although i have to admit, as 'a telescope nutter' i have an almost irrational exuberance for these things !! ?

47961316112_5480098fbf_o.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

I've seen one or two threads over on the CN 'Cats & Casses' forum (and on SGL) that advocate fully insulating these telescopes, the dew shields as well.

It seems to help a lot with the thermal management of these things.

I wonder if any users on here have tried it ?

It might do. I find just waiting about 40 mins does the trick though lol.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

This is the scope i was looking at by the way.

Quite a beautiful looking telescope.

Although i have to admit, as 'a telescope nutter' i have an almost irrational exuberance for these things !! ?

47961316112_5480098fbf_o.jpg

Is that an f/10 STF MIRAGE 180mm Rumak? I don't think they use a typical Gregory spot secondary. Well, it's not as expensive as my Evolution was lol.

No its the Intes Micro version working at F/15.

They do (or rather they did) an F/10 version as well. Also an F/6 astrograph version as well, which must have quite a big central obstruction.

The F/15 has a very small CO (27%) and were available in 5, 6, 7, 8 inches aperture and beyond. Also they used to maker Mak Newts as well.

The 715D donates 7" - F15 - the D meaning deluxe with a high spec Sital mirror.

I'd love a look through one and maybe i'll even own one some day ?

Talking STF i remember a trip to London one day about 20 years ago and i visited Widescreen, when they were on Baker St.

Simon almost tempted me into the purchase of the 7" STF Mak cass (F/10) but i decided against and went down the APO route instead.

They were good scopes : one of our DDAS members had one, which i had a look through on one occasion.

Now, i don't think either make are currently available 'off the shelf' ?

I think they are all special order, with a longish wait time. 

Yes, that was the one i nearly brought at Widescreen all those years ago.

They made them in F/10 only if i remember right. Same sort of price as well.

Fine scopes for sure.

I remember reading a very good review on CN years ago about a shootout with a Tak TOA 130.

The Tak outperformed it in most areas, and was one of the reasons i went down the APO route.

The TAK of course is around triple the price !

Which makes the compact 180mm Mak a compelling choice for its aperture.

Alas, back then, i couldn't possibly afford one.

I found the review, which is a good read. The link for it is below. Enjoy ?

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/user-reviews/telescopes/maksutov-cassegrains-mcts/toa-130-vs-stf-mirage-180mm-deluxe-r938