Jump to content

We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

  • Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

    Test

Sign in to follow this  
Nightspore

Big Mak

Recommended Posts

Nightspore
17 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Big.....?? 🧐

Medium i'd say 😉

It's big for me as I'm partially paralysed on the right side of my body. I have limited dexterity and range in my right arm and fingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bino-viewer

Out of interest have you used it terrestrially ?

 

Is the image inverted and / or left / right flipped ??

 

I was looking at a Mak recently on UKABS and although the vendor acknowledged my enquiry, (in to buying)

i've not heard anymore. Maybe its been sold....?

Edited by Bino-viewer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightspore
13 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Out of interest have you used it terrestrially ?

 

Is the image inverted and / or left / right flipped ??

 

I was looking at a Mak recently on UKABS and although the vendor acknowledged my enquiry, (in to buying)

i've not heard anymore. Maybe its been sold....?

I'm guessing it is inverted and reversed, like a refractor, as I use an Amici prism which gives me a correct image.

 

jjXNzF3.jpg

Edited by Nightspore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bino-viewer

So a mirror diagonal will invert the image then ?

But a prism will be the right way up, like a refractor ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightspore
17 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

So a mirror diagonal will invert the image then ?

But a prism will be the right way up, like a refractor ?

Erm ... a mirror will reverse the image. If you put an eyepiece directly into a refractor or catadioptric (with no diagonal) I believe the image is inverted and reversed. A conventional prism and mirror diagonal will un-invert the image so it will be upright.

 

An Amici prism will un-reverse the image as well so it will be a normal terrestrial view that is both upright and non-mirror reversed.

 

I think lol.

Edited by Nightspore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bino-viewer

I find it all rather confusing.

My initial though with your mak ....

 

image of a distant terrestrial object for eg a wind turbine would enter the scope and hit the primary

and be then inverted. When it then hits the secondary mirror on the meniscus its inverted once more the right way up again.

If you then place an eyepiece directly in the focuser (without a diagonal) it will give an upright  but mirror reversed image.

If you use a mirror diagonal as well the mirror diagonal will invert the image a third time AND be mirror reversed.

 

Thus to get an upright, correct image type view you simply use a Amici diagonal to see things as the eye would.

Or am i incorrect ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightspore
2 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I find it all rather confusing.

My initial though with your mak ....

 

image of a distant terrestrial object for eg a wind turbine would enter the scope and hit the primary

and be then inverted. When it then hits the secondary mirror on the meniscus its inverted once more the right way up again.

If you then place an eyepiece directly in the focuser (without a diagonal) it will give an upright  but mirror reversed image.

If you use a mirror diagonal as well the mirror diagonal will invert the image a third time AND be mirror reversed.

 

Thus to get an upright, correct image type view you simply use a Amici diagonal to see things as the eye would.

Or am i incorrect ?

 

 

That sounds about right, I forgot about the Gregory spot secondary. I either use an Amici or dielectric mirror in my refractors and both images are upright, but reversed with the mirror and normal with the Amici. I'm pretty sure that it's the same with Mak's, but I'm not sure why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightspore

The meniscus lens must act like a refractor objective. A Newtonian only has two mirrors but the image is inverted and non reversed. My brain hurts now lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.