• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Startools Tutorials

Bottletopburly

Ivo has released some tutorials on startools, I haven’t watched them myself yet but here are the links 

Now watched pretty much gives you a good idea of what startools is all about if you haven’t watched before.

Not that impressed. 

Understand that it is a very compressed tut but that final image looks so unnatural. 

Looks more like a photo shopped magazine publicity image.

Also looks very cumbersome and clunky. 

Maybe a lot better in real life. 

Be interesting to hear from someone who uses it.

42 minutes ago, Graham said:

Not that impressed. 

Understand that it is a very compressed tut but that final image looks so unnatural. 

Looks more like a photo shopped magazine publicity image.

Also looks very cumbersome and clunky. 

Maybe a lot better in real life. 

Be interesting to hear from someone who uses it.

The video is  just to give you an idea of roughly how it works for someone using it for the first time graham , like any software it takes time and years to master, for me I can get something I’m happy with at the end fairly quickly  , photoshop for me was way over my head and too time consuming and costly , but it’s just finding something that works for you and your needs . There’s another video ivo did a few years ago with data supplied by josh lake m42 on hydrogen Alpha  I thought with my untrained eye  was quite good 

i use startools and like many software applications it can be involving, although i follow a set routine with tweaks here and there and one thing startools is great for is noise reduction and control, for the money and simplicity you can`t go wrong in my humble opinion.

i do sometimes tweak results in photoshop CS3 too.

• Like 2

Now that is what I was after. 

A report from someone who actually uses the software. 

Worth a look then Rob compared to pixinsight??? 

pixinsight Graham is a lot more involved and expensive than Startools, but can get great results, costs around £200, Startools in my opinion is straight forward, i follow a work though sent to me by Steve with tweaks here and there i do now i`m a little familiar with it and i`m very happy with the results, it`s very general first time user work through to get you started, can supply it if needed, it`s much better than using Photoshop on it`s own and does a great job at noise reduction and as Startools is around £40 it`s a very worth while option, if you think gradient x terminator is £40 on it`s own then Startools looks a bargain, i usually get a few elliptical stars and it can round those off too, something i`ve picked up recently.

very worth while consideration i think. 

Thanks. 

Will have a look at it once I get home from work 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, red dwalf said:

pixinsight Graham is a lot more involved and expensive than Startools, but can get great results, costs around £200, Startools in my opinion is straight forward, i follow a work though sent to me by Steve with tweaks here and there i do now i`m a little familiar with it and i`m very happy with the results, it`s very general first time user work through to get you started, can supply it if needed, it`s much better than using Photoshop on it`s own and does a great job at noise reduction and as Startools is around £40 it`s a very worth while option, if you think gradient x terminator is £40 on it`s own then Startools looks a bargain, i usually get a few elliptical stars and it can round those off too, something i`ve picked up recently.

very worth while consideration i think. 

Thanks Rob. 

I already have pixinsight but I rarely have the time needed to use it.