• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astro school talk

Hi guys,

To celebrate the moon landing anniversary, my son's school is soon to be having a space related theme.

Of course, one thing has led to another, and school has found out I'm a bit of an amateur astronomer/astrophotographer.

As a result, I've been asked if I can come in and do a talk with the kids about space, one afternoon, and present some of my images, for which i accepted.

Bearing in mind these will be a group of 5 year olds, and I'm no Carl Sagan, do any of you have any idea how or what I could talk about, considering my target audience?

Obviously DSOs will be way over their heads, so I guess I need to keep it simple while maintaining their interest somehow?

Advice from all you folks with way more experience than I is most welcome!

Kev

Yep speak to Ibbo or Mike Perkins. As it's about the Lunar landings talk a little about that, then progress onto the planets.

Agree with Mick. Hope it goes well Kev, good on yer!

I second the suggestion to talk about the Moon. Feel free to use any of my images. They might want to see some of Jupiter's moons in different positions.

P.S. Some of us remember watching the Moon landings on TV. As I was 14, I can remember quite a bit! Please ask away, I'm sure we can all help.

For the little ones I try to keep it simple, don't use too many tech terms and if I do try to explain those as well.

Use lots of pictures and video.

Edited by Ibbo

Agree with Steve, lots of pictures & videos. If the class have an interactive whiteboard, no chalkboards these days, it's great to use one of these. 

It is a good idea to get them involved, it keeps their attention, so ask questions.  What can you see? What is the difference ...?  What colours...? etc. 

Also if you have a small scope setup then take into show & discuss.  It is better for them to see and do rather than just listen.

I used these powerpoints with a year 5/6 class (10/11 yr olds) so will have more detail than you need but there may be something you can use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy06kjdcjd6hpug/Earth_GB.ppt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6wy5v1hl9ibcz6/the_moon.ppt?dl=0

Good luck and have fun.

That's brilliant, thanks for all your suggestions. ?

Sticking with the moon and maybe planets was my first thought too, so I'll go with that.

So far, I've done very little lunar imaging and zero planetary, so I'll have to think about that one. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Kev

48 minutes ago, 8472 said:

That's brilliant, thanks for all your suggestions. ?

Sticking with the moon and maybe planets was my first thought too, so I'll go with that.

So far, I've done very little lunar imaging and zero planetary, so I'll have to think about that one. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Kev

Please feel free to use anything from here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/with/47932114993/ You can check the albums for a selection of lunar and planetary shots.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2019 at 19:26, 8472 said:

Well, I put together a little PowerPoint presentation in the end and the school and little ones loved it.

Great to see the genuine interest and positive reactions in their little faces, at some of the material. I can see how educating kids must be one of the most rewarding careers, at times.

Well done Kev. Agree it must be so rewarding. I think over the past 5 years or so there has been a lot more interest in science, (maybe Prof Cox has helped), it's good to know that the interest is there..

So pleased it went well. It can be a bit daunting at first but a passion for the subject soon comes across. 

I enjoyed showing sunspots to groups of Year 5 and 6 when my daughter was at primary school.

I also showed the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn after school.