• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Space X 'Starlink Satellites' : Whats it all about ?

Bino-viewer

All seems quiet on EMS at present, so i thought i'd start a new thread.

I'm surprised the imaging clique on here are not running around in circles because of this.

Am i right that they are proposing to have 12000 of these things up there...??

Some of you may have seen this clip thats doing the rounds....

So what is the general opinion about it ?

It may make long exposure subs a little problematic ??

Will it scupper my retirement imaging aspirations i wonder...? ?

More to read below in the link from National Geographic.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/05/elon-musk-starlink-internet-satellites-trouble-for-astronomy-light-pollution/

Edited by Bino-viewer

I think Musk should be fired up into orbit with them to personally ensure they are all working.

Yes musk has 12k planned but there is other companies too such as amazon who all want broadband satellites too there will be thousands up there ,  let’s hope stacking algorithms get better for taking out satellites 

more info here not good reading 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/5/29/18642577/spacex-starlink-satellite-constellation-astronomy-light-pollution

Edited by Bottletopburly

Yes Rob, I heard about this a few days ago. Doesn't bode well for us, does it?

In Musk's words, it's for the "greater good" whatever that means.

I guess Sigma-rejection algorithms will now be working overtime, eh! ?

For the greater good means more money in his bank account. 

• Like 2

Once space became public domain throwing more rubbish up there was inevitable. Eventually when there is so much carp up there that it becomes dangerous we may get some control but be prepared for more.

I personally do not think it is a good thing
. I have rewritten the last sentance several times to make it acceptable for the forum

Edited by philjay

Totally agree with you Phil. 

One day and not that far in the future I can see the script at the beginning of Gravity being a reality. 

Scary thought but only a matter of time. 

Edited by Graham

• 5 months later...

Although its no laughing matter for us stargazers, i found this clip rather amusing........

The guy was getting really freaked out by them. Out of wonder, or in horror ? What do you think ?

One day probably not too far away, and you're right Craig, they're only just getting started, they'll be thousands of them up there.

From an imaging point of view its not good at all, but as Kev mentioned it will give the software developers the incentive to produce 'fixes' to 'remove them'

But perhaps for us poor souls in the UK, from a visual perspective, our light pollution is so bad we'll probably not even see them anyway ! 🙄

Edited by Bino-viewer

This is making the Kessler syndrome more and more likely, you only need one launch to go wrong and insert that lot into the wrong orbit. It will be a lot worse from even a visual point of view if this plague of satellites all get thrown up there. Even now it's a fairly frequent event that something wings it's way through the view.