• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obs with my new 200P Dob Monster!

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hey there,

So i got my new Skyliner 200P yesterday and got it all assembled with some help from a couple of Shoutboxers (thanks guys). I had friends round last night but kept popping outside waiting for the cloud breaks and finally glimpsed Jupiter. I dragged the Dobmonster outside and took a peak. Gorgeous view with belts really clear. I experimented a bit with the aperture mask to see how it affected contrast. Then I pointed him at the Pleiades and this was my biggest surprise. Having only had smaller refractors in the past I was astounded by the image quality. The Pleiades readily revealed their blue colour and their iridesence and light was so clear they looked truly beauitiful. I was actully quite moved (think the 3 glasses of wine I had by this point helped). Then I moved him on to Aldebaran and admired his redness. Finally in amongst the cloud gaps I went to M31, the Andromeda galaxy, and she looked pretty pretty majestic too. I also glimpsed a couple fo nice yellowish Geminids leaving a brief but persistent tail.

When I was a little girl writing to Patrick Moore and equipped with a crappy (though I thought it was fab at the time) 2" Tasco I used to dream about having a big reflector. That dream dulled as life and family takes over but I am happy to say it has now been fulfilled. :D

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

very nice report there Melissa, glad you had a chance to view some lovely objects with your new scope, don`t forget that Saturn is now coming up, haven`t yet seen it myself this year but i did get a glimps of Venus the other day

Back then when I was a kid, a 2" Tasco was something to be revered, and I suspect a lot of people got started with one. I still remember my first view of Saturn through it, that's where the bug bit me.

I still have it in the attic, so I might take it to a dark site one night just for fun, rainbow Moon here we come!

You seem to have got off to a great start with your new scope, and first light on the first night, cracking.

As Rob mentioned Venus is slowly getting higher in the evening sky following the Sun down, and is nice and bright but low on the horizon.

Mars and Saturn are well placed for a bit of early morning observing, weather and body permitting.

Enjoy your new scope. :)

Glad the scope is proving itself Melissa, nothing like the thrill of your first decent views.

I'm really pleased you are happy with it, I started with a 50mm Tasco as well Martyn and the difference nowadays is enormous.

Fantastic 1st light report - congrats. I must admit, the 1st time I pointed my 200P to the Pleiades I was stunned. As for Jupiter, that about blew me away the 1st time I saw it as well.

I can remember getting up a three in the morning when i was a young lad to view saturn with my 2" tasco (from argos) I think thats what got me really into things astronomical. so it was forty quid well spent i suppose oh and that would have been about 1986 lol

I had a small scope as a boy and never really used it, I don't even know what happened to it.

I envy you having seen something at that age that could inspire you. :)