• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Time for a reformat

Bottletopburly

Lately the laptop been playing up installing programs and running programs so chews on my backup Laptop, same laptop except hdd not ssd sooooooo slow , all working as they should do ,time for. Reformat and a de clutter me thinks , spending too much time trying to fix things lately  backup to D drive and clean out the C drive 

Something I need to sort as well on my win 7 lappy. Due to support for 7 ending in Jan I will reluctantly have to go to win 10 urggghhh. I reckon I will go ssd as well.

Just looking through it the other day and it really needs a clear out anyway.

Edited by philjay

I'm in the market for a laptop and am thinking of a used one (to spec) from SB in Long Eaton.

Can the imagers on here suggest me a minimum spec that i need please ?

I would like to do planetary imaging with a high framerate camera with a USB 3 capability.

Also DSLR imaging and going forward a dedicated (something like a ZWO ASI Pro cooled CMOS. Thats a way off yet though)

I'll be wanting a capable processor and will go for the SSD as well.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, philjay said:

Something I need to sort as well on my win 7 lappy. Due to support for 7 ending in Jan I will reluctantly have to go to win 10 urggghhh. I reckon I will go ssd as well.

Just looking through it the other day and it really needs a clear out anyway.

I like win10 more than the other os , check out https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product/windows-10-pro/  used them a couple of times no problems 

58 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm in the market for a laptop and am thinking of a used one (to spec) from SB in Long Eaton.

Can the imagers on here suggest me a minimum spec that i need please ?

I would like to do planetary imaging with a high framerate camera with a USB 3 capability.

Also DSLR imaging and going forward a dedicated (something like a ZWO ASI Pro cooled CMOS. Thats a way off yet though)

I'll be wanting a capable processor and will go for the SSD as well.

Thanks.

No that I’m a pc guru rob but i7 or and equivalent min 8gb ram the more the merrier can never have too much ram ,  lads pc runs on 24gb ram though he gaming , min 1tb ssd probably the norm by now you can get by on smaller but new I would get 1tb and usb3 minimum as all new cameras going to usb3.

• Thanks 2

I went small format PC with I5 and 8GB ram and SSD for solar imaging as the 2 laptops we have here with USB3 started buffering after a few hundred frames.I would think a gaming lappy would be the way to go, but not sure what they are like on power requirements/battery life if you are running off the grid.

its not so much a problem with planetary as you use ROI.

For DSLR imaging its not frame rate its the stacking you need the Ram  the more the merrier as Dave says.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ibbo said:

I went small format PC with I5 and 8GB ram and SSD for solar imaging as the 2 laptops we have here with USB3 started buffering after a few hundred frames.I would think a gaming lappy would be the way to go, but not sure what they are like on power requirements/battery life if you are running off the grid.

its not so much a problem with planetary as you use ROI.

For DSLR imaging its not frame rate its the stacking you need the Ram  the more the merrier as Dave says.

Edit missed part of sentance.

I went small format PC with I5 and 8GB ram and SSD for solar imaging as the 2 laptops we have here with USB3 started buffering after a few hundred frames only to find that the small format buffered as well, only instead of after 300 frames its now 800 and it does not loose thaose buffered frames.

• Like 1

well format complete , not without loosing a few hairs and expletives ,reinstall went well no problems ,Then install APT but i needed .net Framework  3.5 well did as i read on microsoft page but kept getting error  0x800F081F ,going round in loops Thankfully i have a very pc literate son who solved my conundrum spurned on by a £20 incentive well after running cmd prompt and typing gobbledygook he Actually got it installed, hallelujah ,that should NOT be that hard to install a component i knew was on a removable drive .

All software now reinstalled,APT configured and platesolving working thank god I may see if I can take a ghost image just in case .