• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tonight's lightening show.

Graham

Nice.......i love a good storm.

Enjoy.

(we could do with it in Derby as well. The bedroom is like a sauna again.

But it looks like its localised to the south east region only)

Sadly it has moved off out to see. ?

But it might come back ?

nice shots Graham

we had a good storm the other night and I was set up with camera till the heavens opened.

Did I get a shot.

nope not one

• Like 2

I love a good storm as well. Best I've ever seen was when we had our static caravan at Hunstanton looking out to see. The fork lightning was amazing, never seen it that bad since. We didn't get any last night though.

As a keen photographer with plenty of room for improvement, whats the best way to shoot lightening ?

Given the 4K capability of modern cameras, wouldn't filming it (on a tripod) be best, and then taking out an individual frame ?

I've used this method on my iPhone (8+) to good effect.

My Sony MILC will shoot 4K, but we very rarely get storms in the midlands, and i've never had the chance to try it ? ?

13 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

As a keen photographer with plenty of room for improvement, whats the best way to shoot lightening ?

Given the 4K capability of modern cameras, wouldn't filming it (on a tripod) be best, and then taking out an individual frame ?

I've used this method on my iPhone (8+) to good effect.

My Sony MILC will shoot 4K, but we very rarely get storms in the midlands, and i've never had the chance to try it ? ?

That is not a bad idea Rob.

I will give it a go if it ever happens again.

We too do not normally get thunderstorms here as the land is so flat they normally pass us by.