• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling 2020 12th - 19th October

Sheila

Thursday to Monday for me. Assuming the weather isn't going to be like EMS 5. Still not sure if the tent survived as I've not had a chance to use it this year!

12th to 15th Oct for me , then back on the 16th for the family holiday in a lodge. Booked my pitch though up to 18th so will hopefully pop down to the pitch on the 16th & 17th too for a bit more astronomy 🙂

Friday to Monday for us, so thanks in advance Darren! (though maybe Thursday night will be clear to make up for it).

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RonC said:

Are we not seeing Tom this year?? Not heard from him in ages!

No I have tried loads of times to contact him with no success so I had to let his pitch go. Nothing else I could do 

Edited by Sheila

Driving around Sleaford most days I noticed the queues on the A17 at the Holdingham roundabout are averaging 2-3 MILES on a Monday!

I shall be missing that by turning off to RAF Cranwell (passed our old house!), through the village then turning Right onto the A15 up

to the said roundabout with a lot smaller queue and turning Left back onto the A17 dual carriageway to Kings Lynne.

Just a thought!!

3 hours ago, RonC said:

Driving around Sleaford most days I noticed the queues on the A17 at the Holdingham roundabout are averaging 2-3 MILES on a Monday!

I shall be missing that by turning off to RAF Cranwell (passed our old house!), through the village then turning Right onto the A15 up

to the said roundabout with a lot smaller queue and turning Left back onto the A17 dual carriageway to Kings Lynne.

Just a thought!!

Any idea why, never had an issue with that roundabout before, has any thing changed?

That will cause lots of aggravation for weeks but it's been noticeably only on a Monday that the queues have been really bad on the A17 into the roundabout.

I'll keep you posted as I go there most days for work.. 

Ron

Just in case anyone is interested but I've just come back from Kelling and this is the most up to date (as of Sunday ) to COVID restrictions and policies  (Might all be null and void now )

Entry to the site is now gated with a command post and barrier ( as per all those WW2 films) you get given a wristband when you check in and you must show it every time you leave or enter  "Camp Kelling"........ failure to do will result in a chase round the forest with men on motorbikes and side cars yelling halt ..... not Holt that's down the road 😆 (Sorry again with the WW2 films)

Check in is now done in the layby where you park when you first arrive.  2 portable toll booth kiosks are situated there, when we arrived we where shown to our pitch but with amount of people checking in for the star party  you might just be given wrist band and map etc, because of this check in and getting through gate and checking in can be slow and lead to heavy traffic. The point where the barrier is situated is narrow and only one vehicle at a time can pass (have seen queues of caravans, motorhomes and cars back to the site entry.

Covid adherence is very good, toilet blocks have hand sanitisers and are fumigate with a mist everyday, the shop and Forge seem to be operating on limited access and reception has large plastic screens up and a one-way system but the issue we may have is the lighting from the shower and toilet blocks 

All windows and doors have to left open at all times in the blocks and even with the external lights turned off or covered  the fact that the doors and windows have to left open at all times means the lights from inside will shine out, this will effect some pitches as they will have to contend with LP not such an issue for imagers but  those strange folk that use their scopes to look through,???  it may effect their night vision. 

I did bring this up when adding a few extra nights last week with the management and they said they will look into it but they can not turn off the lights inside the shower/toilet blocks as injury and liability claims may result in this action and because of the  COVID regulations they have to keep all doors window open etc. but they said they will look into it.

Well as I type this could all be void as it looks like we could be heading for another lockdown which will restrict movement ah well we always have 2021

hope this helps and fingers crossed see you at Kelling!  from at least 2 metres !!!! and don't come anywhere near me my gear my pitch in fact stay the hell away from me 😆😆

oh just another thing spoke to one of the guys that  patrol at night and they said they will be advising rather than enforcing the rule of 6 but will ask groups in tents awnings etc to meet, drink moan about cloud cover, scopes imagining software young people etc outside rather than inside 

Clear skies 

• Thanks 2

I had suspected as much with the toilets. Visual guys will have option of 2 other pitches   The extra space on mine as usual and we have philj’s on the opposite side to the toilets pitch 202 and much further up. So hopefully this will help if anyone’s is too close to the loos. Fingers crossed it all is not messed up by covid. All must maintain 2 m distance from each other on those pitches. 

Edited by Sheila

Pitch 202 has now been taken by one of ours who is pitch less. But we will all muck in to accommodate anyone who is adversely affected by the toilet lights. All you need to do is ask

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will not get there while Thurs now.

If the lights from the block shine on my pitch please leave me a socially distanced spot further up the field please.

• 2 weeks later...

Trial set up for Kelling, just to check I've got everything!

Think I need to tidy the wiring up!

large.IMG_6614Wires.jpg.02451fb44ffae09d456311a6427aca17.jpg

1 hour ago, RonC said:

Trial set up for Kelling, just to check I've got everything!

Think I need to tidy the wiring up!

large.IMG_6614Wires.jpg.02451fb44ffae09d456311a6427aca17.jpg

Wellies very wet muddy here Ron got stuck and had to be pulled off the pitch