• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Archiving your images

Bottletopburly

How do other peeps go about archiving /sorting their images , do you move your  finished processed jpegs /fits to a master folder and keep acquisition data in another folder dated /labelled ,mine i am finding are all over the place and now hunting them all down . 

I can answer from a photography POV - I keep all my RAWs in folders based firstly on subject and then on date. My folder structure looks something like this:

RAW Photos

--- Architecture

------ 2019 08 06

------ 2018 11 23

--- Heritage

------ 2019 03 02

------ 2019 01 23

--- Landscapes

------ 2019 05 28

------ 2018 12 26

This way I can easily navigate by subject and then date. The date format used means it is sorted correctly by Windows Explorer when sorted by Name. Sorting by DD/MM/YYYY would group all the firsts of the month together, then all the seconds, etc., making it a mess.

The RAWs are reviewed for sharpness and composition, with the poor ones being discarded.

Processed photos (the JPGs) are uploaded to the appropriate place (e.g. Flickr) and then discarded.

It's a neat and tidy system that I haven't had to change in years.

• Like 1

@Craig thanks , yes that makes good sense , Apt saves by date not sure what format will look into that ?

• 2 weeks later...