• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

It does still exist.

Graham

Just to prove that the sun does still exist I grabbed this this morning.

With a bit of luck I can continue with the sun bothering all day.

Time will tell.

spacer.png

False colour added in PS 6.

spacer.png

Its almost completely devoid of any features at all.

Am i correct that we are in the period known as Solar minimum ?

How long is the 'cycle' and when will things 'liven up a bit ?

We do have Mercury paying a visit in November to look forward too.......

Borrowed this from a paper on the subject

Cycle 24

Main article: Solar cycle 24

The current solar cycle began on 4 January 2008,[18] with minimal activity until early 2010.[19][20] It is on track to have the lowest recorded sunspot activity since accurate records began in 1750. The cycle featured a "double-peaked" solar maximum. The first peak reached 99 in 2011 and the second in early 2014 at 101.[21] It appears likely that Cycle 24 will end sometime between mid-2019 and late 2020.[22]

Cycle 25

Main article: Solar cycle 25

There are many, often mutually contradictory predictions,[17] based on different methods, for the forthcoming solar cycle 25, ranging from very weak to moderate magnitude. At present, it is expected that Solar Cycle 25 will be very similar to Solar Cycle 24. They anticipate that the Solar Cycle minimum before Cycle 25 will be long and deep, just as the minimum that preceded Cycle 24. They expect solar maximum to occur between 2023 and 2026 with a sunspot range of 95 to 130, given in terms of the revised sunspot number.

• Thanks 1