• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Focuser Repair

Streetbob

Towards the end of last nights observing my focuser started making some rather unpleasant grinding noises.  I decided to remove it this morning, have a look and then order a moonlite. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4u83822qrqmmqi3/IMG_0309.JPG?dl=1

Having removed the base cover I noticed ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsvrlpindsttqho/IMG_0310.JPG?dl=1

these 4 screws were loose.  I re-tightened them and then re-assembled and all works well. No nasty noises.

However, have I just saved myself £340 or done myself out of a moonlite?

Edited by Streetbob

I shall use the defence of ‘They told me to’. 

It’s called passing the buck.

Focusers eh what can you do. There are a couple of adjustments which if they go out (and they often do) can make em feel like a bag of gravel. Must Crayford style, including hybrid (Crayford/ RP) work fine and are eminently suitable for imaging etc but they have a habit of shifting adjustment making folks feel like they need to upgrade. Good news for Moonlite and their ilk. Its also been good news for me because I have had a couple of bargain scopes  from dealers who have had the scopes returned because of the poor feel of the focuser. All it took was a 2 minute adjusment on both scopes and the focusers ran as smooth as silk.

I agree though that Moonlites are nice, very nice and if you want one then no amount of positive comments on your existing focuser will dissuade you from the upgrade, I know it didnt for me ?, Oh and Moonlites can go wrong as well but not as often as the mass produced cheaper versions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1