• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M31 Andromeda Galaxy

Bottletopburly

37 minutes ago, Graham said:

Looks really good on my phone. 

Yes seems to look better on my phone than on on the laptop 

Its perfectly framed : i remember you were concerned it may not be with the 70/350

but it is perfect for this target.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Its perfectly framed : i remember you were concerned it may not be with the 70/350

Yes excellent for this rob , I took a quick look at the western veil nebula too  that also looks very nice so will give that a go next time .

Nicely done. I think this is a really challenging target to do with that bright core and faint nebulosity in the outer dust lanes. You’ve got plenty of data so you should be able to get some more colour in the surrounding stars. I got 4hrs on this last night with Redcat and Canon DSLR but I want to go long on it this time and add some Ha for good measure ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Yes excellent for this rob , I took a quick look at the western veil nebula too  that also looks very nice so will give that a go next time .

@Chris P. yes I do believe there is more data in there but at least there is a few hours of data to start off with , is always wanted to do m31  but the 200p  was restricted unless you did a mosaic , I had about 8hrs data, regim used about 72 % rejecting the rest .

@Chris P. seems I made a schoolboy error in the initial steps using startools and from what I have seen thanks to ivo at StarTools , I also upgraded to the latest version 1.5 and it has better data mining  so looks like its pulling more details out and lot more colour in image , basically I hadn’t cropped enough border out  which was causing my issues, will post result hopefully it will be better.

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

@Chris P. seems I made a schoolboy error in the initial steps using startools and from what I have seen thanks to ivo at StarTools , I also upgraded to the latest version 1.5 and it has better data mining  so looks like its pulling more details out and lot more colour in image , basically I hadn’t cropped enough border out  which was causing my issues, will post result hopefully it will be better.

I’m not familiar with Regim or Star Tools. I’m assuming if you leave a noisy border or have stacking artefacts at the edges, the software is compensating on the overall image too much? So cropping solves it, as it does in PSCC and Pix. Do you know why Regim rejected so much of your data? Do you get the same in DSS?

13 minutes ago, Chris P. said:

I’m not familiar with Regim or Star Tools. I’m assuming if you leave a noisy border or have stacking artefacts at the edges, the software is compensating on the overall image too much? So cropping solves it, as it does in PSCC and Pix. Do you know why Regim rejected so much of your data? Do you get the same in DSS?

Yes if you  don’t crop out the artefacts then startools won’t calibrate image properly, I think regim rejecting data depends on settings I will talk to Andreas and see if the parameters can be tweaked better, I’m sure they can .i haven’t tried DSS yet though have downloaded the latest release , ivo from startools post here after he looked at my data as you’ll see plenty of detail and colour in there 

http://forum.startools.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1504&sid=a96fec04ac52af6e61ef483d15a8339a

Here is what ivo jäger Startools developer  managed to pull from my data , now for me to see if I can get same result 

Andromeda Galaxy credit Processing to Ivo Jäger

44 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Here is what ivo jäger Startools developer  managed to pull from my data , now for me to see if I can get same result 

Yep - a real difference ??

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

I thought your original was amazingly brilliant. This blows my head off.

4 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

I thought your original was amazingly brilliant. This blows my head off.

Me too Phil usually I don’t have a lot of data so I’m not expecting much, this time I had a few hours of data I made a mistake processing which ivo has told /shown me the correct path to take I was amazed  by the result 

Edited by Bottletopburly