• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A DSLR/Mirrorless Peltier TEC Project

As these warm summer nights wreak havoc on uncooled imaging, I thought about designing a non-invasive (no cold finger mods!) and cost-effective way of cooling my cameras and hence reducing the noise a little bit. I'm not quite ready to jump into cooled mono + filter imaging, so I did a little research into what some DSLR imagers were experimenting with.

I don't need sub-zero sensor temperatures, as that brings it's own set of issues with moisture and condensation. Just something a little better than present.

I thought about peltier (TEC) cooling via an enclosed and insulated aluminium box, and even went as far as ordering the raw materials, but after much thought, I decided against it, as I thought that while feasible for a GEM, it seemed a little bulky for a smaller tracker-type mount.

Enter Plan B

A small group of imagers have gone down the route of cooling the back of their cameras with TEC cooling devices. This is fine, If the camera in question has a flip out screen, but not much use for other varieties.

Another solution, chronicled in an epic CN thread, is to TEC cool the camera via the base and tripod mount screw. Although not as efficient, the beauty with this, is that it can be fitted to a variety of different cameras, as they are all mounted through the common 1/4 UNC tripod mount. Here's the obligatory beer mat sketch.

ls9PMrJm84bKLal3QwZkeRaza7icdLuwv6dAy7dV

My 12v power source feeds a 2KW, 40A PWM Controller ...

YzQn_wPkN3DXQsLYIvLdvvS3bph3Q4vJHWKmTsBZ

which (where necessary) smoothly throttles the 70w 5.8A TEC's supply voltage...

JBM3d9ivccvPFqA0SkEnFOBCm0RwAW4hGhLXUQyw

and is then cooled with a 90mm HSF.

4wP4mDWr-SbhcA0VrzOYdggyIzqIyfudX4SzUGJm

The TEC and is then mounted to a 1.2mm copper plate (which I bent to 90 degrees) and drilled a hole to fit the tripod screw. Ideally, I would like to have made the horizontal length shorter than 70mm depicted, to improve the TEC's efficiency, but was constrained by the need to read the display on the back of one camera (T3) and flip the screen out 90 degrees on the other (E-PL5).

(0.7mm test plate pictured - not the final product).

hRbb9XlCqNIiXYYyNuIUI4zkxPF_6nbTgvOAQ5cd

Assembled device with camera fitted.

oPCuiIj17tk776-QrWQk0g7WCZqdvlrDzMRiP4Im

Along with an internal modification a performed to my cameras to improve the thermal conductivity from the body to the sensor area, I also lagged most of the exposed copper with closed-cell foam (This is the cold side, and you really have to minimise the loss of cooling as much as you can, as this is where the device is least efficient).

As per the initial sketch, I've also fitted a simple temperature probe which sits sandwiched between the copper and the insulating foam (not pictured). This obviously doesn't give you true sensor temperatures, but what you do get is a rudimentary way of matching Lights and Darks temps to a rough roundabout level. Throttling the PWM can fine tune this, to a certain degree -  Pun intended.

Coming Soon - Dark Frame Noise Testing...

• Like 3

That’s astonishing Kev, well done for thinking through all the options and bringing it to a practical conclusion.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

The aim was to keep expenditure and complexity to a minimum and fortunately these TEC kits don't break the bank at all. A good job too - but I'll get to that later.

Once you get your head around the concept of how they work, it's not too difficult implement, either.

Cheers,

Kev

Cheers, Phil!

Before I put the 1.2mm copper version together, I assembled an initial TEC test bed, with the 0.7mm plate, to test functionality of the device.

In simple terms, the hot side of the TEC mates to the HSF and the cold side to the copper, which then conducts to the camera.

I used some decent quality thermal paste (left over from several PC builds over the years) on the TEC's surface to improve thermal conductivity and fired it up for a test run at full power.

In very little time, I could feel the copper plate getting cold to the touch and eventually condensastion and drops of moisture stated to form on the copper plate. My thermal probe had yet to arrive through the post, so a visuals were all i had to go by. Excuse the poor picture.

xQCKiumeDJyW5WvA1IQ-9vcZakw2PsOmQ9UY1KJU

Seemed a sucessful test, so on to the full build. I re-assembled the device onto the thicker 1.2mm plate and added some insulation to most of the exposed copper. My DSLR was attached and a series of 300s dark frames were taken, in a dark room.

I returned an hour later to the TEC's HSF stone cold and of course the DSLR red hot! Yep, in my haste I had accidentally flipped the TEC the wrong way around and cooked my camera. ?‍♂️

I carefully checked the camera over, and touch would, other than being warm to the touch it seemed to be unscathed. Dodged a bullet, I hope.

With TEC righted, I repeated the test and checked the dark frames, along with their corresponding EXIF temperatures, to paint a picture of the temperature drop during the course of the test.

Sure enough, there appeared to be a tangible decrease in dark frame noise after each and every frame, along with a steady drop in temps, as the TEC got up to speed.

Frame 1 -  Camera Temperature : 44 C

uh-Vvq7eTLicTUp62XWqdoBJ-Wz-pG_OhbuAlM7K

Frame 2 -  Camera Temperature : 41 C

UEWDMp1pf5RAdP20Ll0NzdwMU_9uWpqC_eKnIqvB

Frame 3 -  Camera Temperature : 39 C

5RK8rw--6YAfCvqJwOpy0Aha3zMxm_zwLXZYqj-f

Frame 4 -  Camera Temperature : 37 C

oiUqAFsEWufjst2xgk17679XVxe8vI8FAOdXOim3

Frame 5 -  Camera Temperature : 36 C

Z_IBs3t1HprQGD7i_8MRJGnxbaYWkaCdQMBIxz3k

Frame 6 -  Camera Temperature : 36 C

1439ItKPnWMQfT1PhQQJUn7Gz6NCkGRBlqvcDCJz

Frame 7 -  Camera Temperature : 35 C

RsrbOOAkPZYy1MIiuHkZPJHXldTwm_l1w-ypFkTH

Frame 8 -  Camera Temperature : 34 C

GPd1iGj706ofdiMf3vckQGa1UA7xuKa_nBUzC06C

Frame 9 -  Camera Temperature : 34 C

6z76bElIwVPrXgTBL99VKe3sSdhlOB5Gd22OImOo

Frame 10 -  Camera Temperature : 34 C

W-5aki1tTzmFTbVlvotvgw6zFP87OEKZJ0i3xsy5

Frame 11-  Camera Temperature : 34 C

Pm3XkxVZVi0XQAm59KD_WWLLJlumG0CeJ85oZQuq

Frame 12 -  Camera Temperature : 33 C

8YCvbUJCWlCYO1CPr5vSBtL0eF6n1xMpkJts7G2P

An initial 10C drop in temps seem a good return, and I shall be improving things with some insulation and conductivity mods.

Predictably, the TEC proceeded to go open circuit not long thereafter, entirely due to my botched previous reversed installation, no doubt.?

I have since fitted a replacement (correctly this time) and it ran a full imaging session (600s narrowband subs + full set of calibration frames) without hitch, just as it should. Further tests went smoothly, too. ?

Next, I will probably be repeating the test, with a different camera.

Clear Skies!

Kev.

Full Spectrum E-PL5 Dark Noise test results

10 x 300s Darks taken from TEC switch on (again, these are EXIF sensor temps)

Dark Frame 1 - 25.5C

XETBDlDgAB18H8G-xp8cI4n-DgCUB5-LN8Ykgs3z

Dark Frame 2 - 22.6C

gOjI4BO9pDn0yjXfLt77PNL_oaR2yr0-Yh8SczMM

Dark Frame 3 - 20.2C

1LazORDxQKcjQgrQp1Cpx-vk6sxnpeWvBUH1JpRr

Dark Frame 4 - 18.3C

MRAXEt48rlVfFD8mi3jvm78e2r17Qw6qyuT8vQmI

Dark Frame 5 - 17.0C

I6XyyP3gZmBe0rIpHN7ItE-baedfNiMOl7AzKvVe

Dark Frame 6 - 15.9C

gQkT-NUDuINopdGIbEkBucxIgnac84t4RRVnpFtZ

Dark Frame 7 - 15.1C

n9DLT0gjJHN2ILsKyAKat5MEjWqL_4rI2BKXfWxZ

Dark Frame 8 - 14.4C

EkwDZR2mgz1Av9_1TkU5796kp3Pyz5mQbGs8u8YF

Dark Frame 9 - 14.0C

8f3zl0KWcpQrwBICqBykRvyMCZIhdhUkNUYpJZBo

Dark Frame 10 - 13.6C

9LPVOTjMJBB6kFsgi8bo5dAFy0cTnJSIul9R-G2q

I didn't perform any more than 10 darks as the battery on my secondary power tank went flat (these TECs can consume a huge amount of juice) but my leisure battery has plenty of reserves though, so no worries there when it comes to all-night imaging.

The gradual shrinking of the RAW files in size is also a good indicator of the reduction of noise in the darks, so all in all, I'm satified with the resultant 12C reduction in sensor temps over the course of an hour and the corresponding noise drop.

Kev

• Like 1

Thanks, Martyn.

Seems my full spectrum MILC has better read noise levels, and far better sensitivity than my T3, so i'll maybe sticking with that for the time being, for astro.

Less weight hanging off the focuser, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Another incremental update to the build via an extra bit of copper.

KCd0T7hOpPwcNZsO0fwT3Xy9Y9koC2pCiHy82o-S

Doesn't look much, but it appears to lower sensor temperature a good few degrees lower than just the coldplate before. It sits sandwiched between the rear of the camera and the tilt display mechanism.

With the lower temps, It seems condensation could be a limiting factor now, as TEC is currently set to running no higher than roughly 75% full power.

The round Delrin boss i made screws into the camera tripod base, and the other end is 1/4" female threaded at the base to enable me to fit it to my Star Adventurer L-Bracket, should I so wish.

m9B3VASLgCyBMHDC-5hy5dUrvPy8kswsyWpaIPBH

Camera in position.

The black cable at the bottom of the above picture is the temperature probe...

And there is just enough room in the PWM Controller chassis to fit the Temperature probe display.

AsM74zAb8P21mzLHGwu0bTBMBPwnx4u80Sq6o80W

From the initial sample size, the temperature delta between the EXIF temps and the probe appears to be only roughly 3-4 degrees or so after the latest mods. So good enough for my purposes. ?

Edited by 8472
  • Like 1