• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lens advice please

Bottletopburly

My mate has offered me a canon 100-400 lens for £100 now it does have some fungus on it he made me aware of that just so I know now I can take it home and have a play , he said he hasn’t noticed it in any images  but second hand in good condition WEX was going to offer £650 but with fungus to them no good ,my mate bought the newer  400 mm  lens so this sits in a draw collecting dust , I will post a photo later , what’s the field of thought on this chaps .

At that price I would bite his arm off.

You can soon strip and clean the lens.

They are not as complicated as you might think.

You only need a couple of tools.

As that does not look too bad a short stay in a sealed box of desiccant material might sort it.

No moisture = no fungus 

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Graham said:

As that does not look too bad a short stay in a sealed box of desiccant material might sort it.

No moisture = no fungus 

Took a few pictures can’t see anything, bargain buy it is then graham , currently googling fungus lens removal 

@Graham I don’t think the auto focus works do you see that as a problem? Obviously for Astro it doesn’t,  daytime I’m thinking it’s not a big deal to focus   and the mrs said no bl**dy way I’m walking around with you holding that ?

I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for.

If it is going to be primarily for astro work then it is not a problem.

It would be an issue if you are going to be using it for shooting wildlife ect.

Just a thought as to why it doesn't work some of these zoom lenses have a travel lock on them to stop the lens extending whilst being carried around, make sure it is unlocked before using it.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for.

If it is going to be primarily for astro work then it is not a problem.

It would be an issue if you are going to be using it for shooting wildlife ect.

Just a thought as to why it doesn't work some of these zoom lenses have a travel lock on them to stop the lens extending whilst being carried around, make sure it is unlocked before using it.

My friend believes af does work so maybe it’s me will have a look , he mainly used in manual and does birding and wildlife photography  most of the time

Before you start thinking of stripping it down, i'd take it to your local camera store, let them check it out

and see what sort of cost it would be to have it cleaned / serviced

Looking at your photos, i'm not sure it is actually fungus ??

Theres some dust in there, but one issue with those 100-400s is that the zoom mechanics (i think you manually pull it outwards to zoom)

tends to suck dust particles inside over a period of time.

Still £100 is a good price, certainly for 'Red band' Canon glass 

16 hours ago, Graham said:

No moisture = no fungus 

I would urge caution with cleaning.

21 individual lens elements, in 16 groups with ultrasonic motors and everything else sounds a pretty complex design to me.

Problem is, i bet the cost of a professional clean and service may run in to the hundreds of pounds.

But certainly worth asking to see ?

• Like 1

Its important to arrest the fungus asap if you do buy it. This stuff loves damp and warm, eg bringing the lens in from a cold night into a heated environment.

It should be relatively easy to clean but fungus loves glass and coatings so even if you clear the fungus your coating may still be marked. For the sizes of the fungus patches this will make imperceptible difference to images so dont worry about that.

I would buy it at that price. Good one

• Like 1