• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ED72 ~ A Year

Nightspore

I did think about getting a 72ed but ended up buying a technosky 70 /346mm f5 Astrograph instead , 72ed gets good reviews for both visual and imaging .

4 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

I did think about getting a 72ed but ended up buying a technosky 70 /346mm f5 Astrograph instead , 72ed gets good reviews for both visual and imaging .

There's not a bad difference in price lol. I only do visual observing so an ED doublet is fine. The Technosky quad looks beautiful, and it's only just over 2kg. I think the ED72 would make a great travel scope. At less than 250 quid it's more easily replaced if you drop it. I really can't fault its optics. I'm only guessing at the H-FK61 part of the doublet. I suppose as Synta make a big deal of the Ohara glass on their other models they'd be a bit discreet about using anything Chinese. I've read that H-FK61 has only a 0.02 Abbe number difference to Ohara FPL-51. If that's what's in the ED72 I can believe it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

I hadnt planned on the purchase but was offered a good deal, so ah what the heck .

Yeah, sometimes you have to take a chance. Sounds like you got a good deal.