• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mains to 12v power supply

Hi,

As i'll be joining some of you guys at Kelling in a couple of weeks, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me a suitable mains adaptor for their EHUs?

I don't fancy lugging around my leisure battery, which weighs a ton and takes up precious space in the car.

Something with multiple cigarette sockets for all my imaging gear, so it will have to be reasonably beefy.

All the ones I've looked at only have single sockets (I need at least 2 or 3) and are only rated to 10 amps or so.

Thanks,

Kev

4 hours ago, 8472 said:

Hi,

As i'll be joining some of you guys at Kelling in a couple of weeks, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me a suitable mains adaptor for their EHUs?

I don't fancy lugging around my leisure battery, which weighs a ton and takes up precious space in the car.

Something with multiple cigarette sockets for all my imaging gear, so it will have to be reasonably beefy.

All the ones I've looked at only have single sockets (I need at least 2 or 3) and are only rated to 10 amps or so.

Thanks,

Kev

Hi Kev.

If you manage to pull 10amps with all your gear plugged in then you will have a serious problem. 

Even on full slew,  dew heaters and a camera running you should not get close to 5amps.

Cannot help with a power source with cigarette lighter sockets as all my gear is hard wired.

1 hour ago, Sheila said:

Thanks, Sheila.

Do you have a link for the 12v bench unit you speak of? I can't find anything suitable. Ta.

I use this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183550924588

and i use these on the spade connectors front and back

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/12v-Female-in-Car-Cigarette-Cigar-Lighter-Socket-Plug-Connector-Self-Hard-Wire/927202983?iid=202223271851&rt=nc

gives me 3 x cigarette lighter connections.  

Edited by Sheila