• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ASI AIR

Alec

As some of you maybe aware I've been playing around with the Asiair  for a while without that much success. During my last visit to Wymeswold I managed to forget to take my PC ? so was forced to use the Asiair for everything polar alignment, focus, tracking everything, to top it all the software needed updating so was a lengthy process. All of that said it taught me masses of features, and I'm impressed! I've managed to become part of the "Test flight" group, so get to beta test the software. The latest version is superb.  The Polar alignment is as good as using my Polemaster and automatic in rotation, plate solving twice gives me accurate positions, although ive found it easiest to do a very quick 3 star alignment with the red dot scope only. Slewing to targets is in a data base that once in the vicinity plate solves and automatically centres the target and all this on my mobile phone. I'm just using a ZWO Mini guide scope and modded Canon 1100d which is supported. Below a few quick sample tests taken from my back yard on function testing.large.IMG_3183.jpg.20f1caaa68caa365160e7af13778a601.jpglarge.IMG_3181.jpg.5193bc92b7f96dc356af8ed1c078c3f0.jpglarge.IMG_3185.jpg.fbfe4d61a7a83d90835d29784a8309fe.jpglarge.IMG_3180.jpg.ae9256d59fae3a195099140d96269f67.jpglarge.1327248152_ASIAIRM31.jpg.f442396e9b957fcd848ba47e22ded509.jpg

• Like 2

Looks very impressive Alec. Are the pictures stored on the ASIAir,k if so,what is it’s memory capacity?

Hi Dave

yes there is a memory card in the unit with plenty of storage, but as with all micro sd cards its tricky to remove. So what I do is to turn the unit on connect to its wifi signal then using a file explorer type in //asiair this gives access to the fits files stored on the card. Once transferred over the network just delete the files on the micro sd on the asiair. I do this way as the micro sd also contains the boot software for the unit and some people have had problems with it be corrupted when removed.

Nice setup Alec , I’m still awaiting APT to update the required software to use indigosky ( pi4 4gb) via APT  with my dslr which is scheduled for this winter ❄️  Then I can control from my laptop in the living room .same sort of setup , only niggle with Asair is it’s licked to their cameras as far as I’m aware . 

Edited by Bottletopburly

2 hours ago, Alec said:

Hi Dave

yes there is a memory card in the unit with plenty of storage, but as with all micro sd cards its tricky to remove. So what I do is to turn the unit on connect to its wifi signal then using a file explorer type in //asiair this gives access to the fits files stored on the card. Once transferred over the network just delete the files on the micro sd on the asiair. I do this way as the micro sd also contains the boot software for the unit and some people have had problems with it be corrupted when removed.

yeah, interesting Alec, thanks

34 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Nice setup Alec , I’m still awaiting APT to update the required software to use indigosky ( pi4 4gb) via APT  with my dslr which is scheduled for this winter ❄️  Then I can control from my laptop in the living room .same sort of setup , only niggle with Asair is it’s licked to their cameras as far as I’m aware . 

Yes to an extent you are correct, but most DSLR cameras are supported, they have just added eqmod connectivity. I’m using this with my Ioptron CEM25 and connect with sky safari seamlessly. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

@Alec yes i meant cameras as in ccd/cmos  not dslr 

As I had a zwo guide camera it suited well, next stage will be to get a zwo 1294MC Pro then I’m set ??

• Like 1